Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all thought you would enjoy this. I have been following posts on this BBS for months but never posted, I am hoping that that will change. I want to thank all of you for your ideas and your help!!

Anyway I have a story that I thought you would all get a laugh out of. When I was a sophmore in college there weren’t too many people that were into cars and Jeeps, but I made sure I found the ones that were and those were the people that I hung around with. Well one night we were drinking beer and hanging out(no driving involved just bench racing you could say) and this guy I know walks in with someone I have never seen before, my friend tells me that I might enjoy talking to this guy that he has a Jeep with a 5.0 in it. Sure I would love to, and see it if it is around. So I start asking him questions about it, like what transmission he in running, well he tells me that he is running a stock mustang tranny, now I didn’t think that you could get one of them to work but hey I am not an expert, so I ask him if they changed they tailhousing to bolt it to the transfer case. Nope he says nothing needed to be done just bolt it right to the transfer case there is no adapter needed, ok now I know he is full of sh&*, but maybe this could be entertaining. He proceeds to tell me that it needed not driveshaft modifications and that he raced (drag raced) it all the time and hardly ever lost. He told me that he had the transfer case shifter lengthened to the same length as the tranny shifter so that when he raced he could start out in low range(more torque to get off the line he tells me). Then when he shifted from first to second he would also shift from low to high. Same way when he shifted to third he would shift to 2WD. Funny isn’t he, but wait it gets better. He then told me that every now and then when he was topped out(red line) in fifth gear(must be a long track) and he was still not sure if he was going to win he would “hit the button” and beat them for sure. Ok now I played stupid “button I asked” yea nitrous ever heard of it?” Sure I told him. Did you guys know that you could run a nitrious engine past its red line, I didn’t? But wait it still gets better, a nitrious inject 5.0?, so what axles are you running under that? Stock he tells me, there plenty strong, you have seen the magazines, if those guys can abuse axles like that when fourwheeling there is no way I will break them drag racing. Good point I said, trying not to laugh in his face. So, I ask, do you have a lift on this thing? No he answers its lowered!!(puke!!) No I am really trying not to laugh. So how did you lower it with blocks? Nope he says, we bought a 2.5” lift kit and installed it upside down. At this point I excuse myself into another room and laugh my a*& off. Then I go back to finish the conversation. Well I tell him, this sounds very very impressive, do you think I could see it? Well I would love to show it to you, he says but it was stolen last week,! Too bad, it sounds really cool, yea, he says and you should have seen the stereo that I had in it. I just looked at my watch, oh man, sorry did realize it was so late, I gotta get some sleep I have a test in the morning, nice talking to you. I went back about a hour later and he was gone, my friends told me he was glad he finally found someone he could talk cars with, nobody else understood what he was talking about. I will never forget that and I get a good laugh every time I think about it. Found out later that he had a stock Wrangler with a RoadMaster stereo system in it and Futura Ats on it, but he wasn’t lying about one thing, I had been stolen. Sorry this was so long but I though you guys would get a kick out of it.

When I bought my Jeep it was exactly what I wanted...and I haven't stop changing it since!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cousin tried to impress me one time...

His '81 honda 4cyl with 2 carbs on it was SOOOOO FAST! It could spin the tires on wet pavement! :/ lesse. the jeep can spin 14" wide tires on DRY pavement... :) Oh well... some people need to brag, the rest of us know.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts