Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fool and a \"wise\" man, thanks TeamRush.

We came out of the store last night to see a guy scoping out the wife's Cherokee. He said he really liked the wheels on it and wanted to get a similar set, but didn't know if they would fit his "full time 4wd" Cherokee. Not knowing what I was in for I said, "Sure they'll fit, there isn't any difference exept for the transfer case.". He started going on about how the front axle is totally different, blah blah blah... prompting me to take a look under the front of his Jeep. Sure enough his front axle was totally different, it was the 2wd tubular axle. I tried to point this out to him. I told him that it didn't matter, the wheels would work on a 2wd as well. Man, that fellow went off, telling me how I didn't know S#!T about 4wd vehicles. "That's the full time 4wd.", he says, "Of course it's not going to look like your part time 4wd." The way he said it emphasized that our part time 4wd wasn't really 4wd and his "full time" is. I tried to point out that it didn't have a front differential. "That's because it's FULL TIME 4wd.", he says, "It doesn't need a front differential."

Well this went on for maybe 5-10 minutes (wife says longer) when I remember that quote TeamRush used as a sig. for a while. "When a fool and a wise man argue, onlookers can't tell the difference." While I have never claimed to be wise, I knew darn well who the fool was. Obviously someone has pulled a number on this guy, probably the salesman who sold the thing to him. I realized that nothing I said was going to convince him that he had a 2wd Cherokee. He "KNEW" he had a "FULL TIME 4WD". I also realized that it didn't make even the slightest bit of difference to me, he's the one who got screwed. So I said something about how he probably knew more about it than me, and made my exit. Leaving this idiot still convinced of the fact that his Cherokee is rough, tough, full-time, 4wd. Odds are it will never see so much as a dirt road anyway, this is So. Cal. after all.

Sometimes it is better to let the morons believe the world is flat. I can't help but wonder though, how many mechanics has he had this argument with. You just know this is one of those guys compaining to friends and co-workers about how mechanics don't know S#!T anymore.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: A fool and a \"wise\" man, thanks TeamRush.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif That's really incredible, but supports the results of Jay Leno's recent SUV survey in which they called SUV owners and asked about SUVs; most owners had NO IDEA what Four Wheel Drive MEANT. When you get around a real expert like that guy with the 2WD Cherokee, just stand back and let them rave....it's cheap entertainment. When I was still in Hi Skool, I worked weekends in a big wrecking yard so I would have cheap parts for all my car activities. One Friday they got in a big Pontiac station wagon that had rolled down a mountainside....rolled so violently that the engine snapped off the tranny bellhousing and rolled out of the open hood and down the hill like a snowball, gathering weeds as it went. Well, the engine was still sitting on the trailer, red mountain dirt all over it, so on Saturday, before taking it to the engine warehouse I steamed cleaned the heck out of it. The tinware was dented in a few spots, but it was a fairly new engine so the light blue Pontiac color still came out nice and clean. A week later I was working on Sat, and two guys came in looking for a late-model Pontiac engine. I showed them several, including the "snowball". One guy looked at the "snowball" then looked at the other guy and said: "Yew cain't fool an expert lahk me....ah cn' tell when an engine ain't been steam cleaned. This here's a real good engine.!" I just looked at him, gave a big sigh and said: "Yer absolutely right; here's no point in a kid like me trying to fool an expert like you."/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A gal I worked with before I transferred to this facility had a relatively new Cherokee & I asked her about it.

"Oh yeah, our driveway is so steep my (front-wheel drive) car just doesn't do well in the snow & ice. So, we traded it in on this. This'll be so much better come winter time".

So, I poked my head underneath one day when nobody was looking - yup, 2wd.

Oh BTW, our local Jeep dealer just advertised a sale on "V-6 Wranglers". /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

· Registered
1,419 Posts

This happen about 15 years ago. Owner of company told the as#%ole foreman to go by a 4WD. Because the foreman knew everything about 4WD he was a hunter. Well he came back with a 2WD ford with the big rear axle and the t18 granny, he swears it was a 4WD. Best truck we ever had. The foreman was hunting a job. That same truck is a wrecker today, hauling cars daily

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hehehe those are great storys... heres another one, when i got my new 95 wrangler last year i drove it to work, and this kid i work with whos 19 came up to me and says, "wow thats a nice wrangler, does it have 4 wheel drive?" i was like yeah, all wrangler have 4 wheel drive, so then he goes, "really, isn't it really hard to turn around corners in 4 wheel drive, i mean with all 4 wheels turning doesn't it make u turn are wierd angles" as i tryed not to laugh, i explained to him that the 4 wheels spin and only the front 2 turn like any other car, then he started to argue about how hes pretty sure his dads wranglers tires, that all 4 turn when he turns, i still got a kick out of him telling that to me.. HAHAH ALL 4 tires turning that would be funny!
Have a good one guys!
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

· Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Yeah, Mikey......even the army couldn't live with the four-wheel steer. But the kid's DAD does! Heh heh../wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

· Registered
1,165 Posts

Tex, A year ago I went into my jeep dealership for some parts, and as I drove away, I noticed the V-6 sign in the window of the new Wranglers. I stopped next to a wrangler and got out to look at it. A saleman came over and asked if I was interested, I explained I was curios about the V-6, didn't know they had a V-6. Salesperson explained they always had one. I looked at sticker and explained to them they had and I-6, and what the differences are. They said they would get the manager and correct it. It is now one year later, and I notice there are still V-6 stickers in the windows.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

· Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif When we bought our ZJ I tried to explain to the Jeep salesman what "full-time" and "part-time" 4WD meant. He still doesn't understand it. Luckily for him we had spent three weeks with the Jeep books and had the ZJ spec'd out. Selling is selling....fixing is fixing, and never the twain shall meet. Salesmen aint't mechanics, and they never will be. Fortunately for them, the buyers don't know anything either./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Several years ago, the mate & I where looking for a cherokee to replace her Civic (to many off-road excursions). Since this was to be her car, and she didn't want me to abuse it, we were looking for a 2wd. I actually had a salesman tell me that "ALL Jeeps are 4wd. They never made a 2wd Cherokee/Waggoner/CJ/etc."

It is better to be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

· Registered
314 Posts

Dang near all the I-6,Grand Cherokees in the want adds around hear say V-6.

· Registered
7,289 Posts

Shhhhhhhh Utah.
The saleman is smiling/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and so is service at the dealership for his oil change on the front diff./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
So who's the stupid one./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Let the "idiot" tell everyone about his big bad 4x4. Too bad you didn't get him to go wheelin with you./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

· Registered
3,412 Posts

Well, my experience with the Jeep dealer (at the time it was an AMC/Jeep/ Renault dealership) that I bought the then new 86 Cherokee was a informative one. He told me exactly what the Cherokee had in it and even gave me a copy of the production order for the Jeep; let me crawl under it and look at the drive train etc. He must have been an experienced Jeep salesman because he knew a lot about them. I know that store was a Jeep dealership for the longest while. One of the things I remember specifically was that all the Jeeps sold on his lot were equipped with full sized spare tires. He said that the "donut" spares were useless if you got a flat while off roading. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Back to what Utahjeeper said...
We don't need no stinking front differential!! Its full-time, you know....Hahahaha, i can't believe people are so stupid/misinformed!

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

· Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Believe it buddy! That's why the scumbag got elected......twice! /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I almost called a guy on a 89 cj-7 v-6 just the other day....was this just a typo, custom jeep or somebody really mis-informed. When in doubt, Close your eyes and choose "choice C." Or how about the Jeep Samari's...that really pisses me off!

CJ-7 10"lift

· Registered
3,412 Posts

The real sad tragedy about all this is that these people who don't know what they have are also ignorant of how to drive Jeeps and SUVs in general. They most likely don't bother to read the owners manual and drive the thing at breakneck speeds (literaly)down the highway. You see them all the time on the side of the road or on the median. If they are fortunate, they live to "complain" how bad the Jeep really is and blame the truck for their driving ignorance. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

· Registered
6,784 Posts

I should have taken my own advice on the BBS a while back...

What I never got was....
If they already KNOW EVERYTHING.... Why the hell did they start a conversation with me anyway?
Didn't they already know already that I'm some dumb hillbilly?
(Or is there a flaw in that veil of Knowledge?)

I don't know how I get suckered into those pointless conversations, but Please God, grant me the I.Q to recognize them, and the strength to walk away from them...

AMEN!

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

· Registered
3,412 Posts

What is that old line from the Bible....None are so blind as those who will not see.

· Registered
1,736 Posts

When I went to Cozumel (an island off of Cancun in Mexico) last year, we went to the desk where the "Rent a Jeep" sign was. I said to the guy "Are they really Jeeps?" And he says to me in his mexican english "Yah, Jeep Tracker." /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

It was a Geo. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.