Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok #1- who else has 3.07 gears in their YJ and has no "GO"? Would moving up to 3.55's and 32's be safe, or would I lose even more power?

#2 The round bolt on plate to the bottom of the intake on a 4.2L, what is it for. It has a red wire coming out and Im stripping all emissions, does it get chucked too?

#3 Will a late CJ 7 header (83?) bolt to an 87 4.2L YJ? I dont care how it connects to stock pipes, Im doing my exhaust to exit drivers side.

# Does anyone have the Radio Shack Sport CB (weatherproof). I need an opinion on how good of a unit it is.

Thanx in advance

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I'd probably go with at least 3.73 gears if I were going to the trouble of switching gears. And the header will bolt to the engine, just don't know how it will fit in the engine compartment.
Can't help with the rest though........

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think you asked this question once before, and I don't know if you can do a driver's side exhaust, ala CJ7, with the driver's side drop of the transfer case on a YJ. CJs have a passenger drop, thus the exhaust goes driver's side - YJs have a driver's drop, thus the exhaust goes passenger side.

As for gears, I used to have 3.07s with the 31s on my auto-tranny YJ. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't go bigger than the 31s. I changed to the 4 cyl. stock axles, got lower mileage axles with the 4.10s in 'em off a 4 cyl. YJ, and bolted on 33s. Works well.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can go driver side exit on the YJ(mine is anyway but I have a different engine) it is just really tight. My exhaust runs right next to the front driveshaft which runs right next to my oil pan. It's pretty tight to fit it all inside the frame, but if you went outside the frame it would be pretty easy. As far as gears go I would hop up to 4.10's. I figure if you are going to swap gears, try doing it once. This way if you decide you want bigger tires, you are set as far as gearing goes. The Radio Shack CB is decent, a guy I wheel with has one.....IMHO a CB is a CB, I got mine for 15 bucks and its a 1973 GM unit, does the job fine for me.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the reply's guys. I do have a 3" body lift, so I have a little more clearence for the exhaust. I want a CJ header because its bundles cheaper! Anyone know what that thing is on the underside of my intake though? 3.55's is the highest I can go without shelling out big money for new carriers too.

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 3.07s and 32" tires - you're right, no power. Only turning about 1600 rpm at 60mph (indicated). Am planning to swap to 4.10s, and am due for new tires which will be 33s. That "ring-pinion.com" website (I think that's it) is helpful on choosing gears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get carriers for about $75 apiece. Less if you go to a junkyard and pull 'em yourself. Why waste the money? I'd go with 4.10's.

Marc
Contagious Racing

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The heater thingy under the intake is a heater (thus powered by a wire) to help heat up the air when it's cold, I think, and help the jeep get up to temp. I'm not sure if it shuts off when the engine temp comes up, or not. If you take off the carb, you'll see the heater elements in the intake. I guess using it or not is up to you. Older cars didn't have em, but it seems like a good idea to me.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.