Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 4.0 swap into my 1980 CJ-7 with a TF-999 when I put it in drive it shifts ok but there is not allot of power, but if I shift it myself I get allot more speed and power out of it. Also the kick down does not seem to be working I have adjusted it as much as possible with no luck. Is this a clue that my trans is giving me that I need a overhaul???

John

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Are you saying:

1. The Upshift is NOT working, or;
2. The Upshift is not shifting at the right points
3. The Kickdown is NOT working, or;
4. The Kickdown is not engaging soon enough?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be upshifting to soon, when I put it in drive and take off at a normal speed or at a fast pase. When I'm going about 35 and put the gas to the floor it won't down shift. But I have adjusted the kick down cable as far as it will go in both directions.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did this problem arise at the same time as your swap?

if so it is probably a linkage problem

i just installed a 258 up to a 999 on a 1980 cj7
think my park is screwed though wont know for a couple of weeks till i can try it

good luck
compadre

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 82.9% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
go down under the jeep, and check the the kickdown linkage is attatched to teh spring loaded arm that is very near the shift arm on teh tranny.

if its hooked up, and its depressing against that spring pressure when you push the gas then you have an internal problem.

you will ruin a torqueflight tranny in short order if you havent already driving it without the kickdown linkage working/adjusted properly.

run it as tight as you can stand it, and youll have better engine braking downhills also.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
If it's upshifting too soon then it's at least upshifting. I'd look at the kickdown cable adjustment again and make sure all the linkage points are freed up.... and perhaps a shift kit for the transmission so you can control the upshift points.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ozark,

My kick-down has never worked, and your comment about ruining the tranny got me nervous, why would it ruin the tranny????

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
My guess about it upshifting too early is that the fluid pressure wouldn't be high enough to hold the bands and you would have some slipping/wearing. I have a dodge pickup that's parked right now but I am having the same problem with it's 727 after swapping on a four barrel carb last fall. Its been driven less than 300 miles since so I'm not worried that I hurt anything but I need to get the linkage fixed on it too. The kickdown linkage also sets the shift points on the 727.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m thinking, the HESCO instruction say rotate the throttle body to wide open throttle. This will cause the cable to ratchet to the proper zero clearance. But when I do this there is about ¼ inch of cable exposed before it even engages when the throttle is depressed. My idea is to get a lead fishing weight and crimp it on the cable so it engages right away. If anyone has pro’s or con’s about this let me know I don’t want to mess my trans up any.

John

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
the kickdown linkage controls the fluid pressure, low pressure = little clamping force on teh bands, AND itll try to climb hills at low speeds/low rpms in top gear, putting a great load on the friction componnents inside the tranny with little pressure applying the friction components.

just tighten the cable, basically shorten the cable or rod between the carb and tranny so that the arm with spring pressure on teh tranny shifter gets pushed, its that simple, adjust it how you like it, but generally tighter means firmer shifts, holds in 1st and second longer ( better acceleration/power, and better engine braking.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just before I read your post I basically shorten the cable by crimping two fishing line weights to the end of the cable so it will engage sooner and it worked. Boy it drives the way it’s suppose to now that I put 4.0 in it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts