Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this one has me bewildered...

99 Ram 1500, 5.2 4WD 5 speed

Started having difficulty last week when starting a long drive. Engine wanted to stall at stop signs, and very low temperature indication. Once it stalled, seemed flooded, finally started after cranking for awhile with the throttle open. This happened once before in my Miata, and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor... logical, as until the engine warms up it runs in open loop mode, rich fuel mixture.

Made it home (some 200 miles), took the truck out again, figuring on getting a new temp sensor. Ran worse today, stalled once at a stop sign, and took a lot of cranking to get it started again... but it did, and I made it to the store after two more [intentional] stops and several more stalls. But at the auto parts store, after buying the sensor (not installed yet), it refused to start at all. It'll crank forever but not seem like it's even trying to start. Plugs are new, coil tests OK, I have spark, but even with engine ether it won't start.... even after sitting several hours. Plugs are getting wet, consistent with flooding, but you'd think it'd at least pop or kick, especially with the ether... but nothing.

Suggestions?

-Dana

"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every
time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, it was indeed the water temp sensor... after some searching (turns out it's completely hidden under the alternator) I finally saw the wire going to the sensor... which was broken, with the plug and wires completely out of the sensor. I plugged the new sensor into the wire, and even with the sensor dangling inside the engine compartment, the truck started immediately and ran, it ran poorly (since it's still not sensing the water temp) but well enough to get me 10 miles home.

-Dana

More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.

- Wilbur Wright

· Registered
38 Posts
you really need a DRB 3 (at least it would help) but you need to make sure that you have a good cam/crank reference without that it would kill the injectors and coil...and beyond a doubt you know the crank sensor is good? how about the pickup wheel? there could also be a bad ground to the PCM a wiring diagram and a good multimeter are a must in this situation:grin:

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
truckboy, you gotta check the dates on the posts... this problem was fixed two years ago and it was indeed the water temp sensor, nothing more.

-Dana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupêry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.