Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I am going to look at a 98 Jeep Wrangler for sale. It has the 6cyl engine and a 5sp trans. Does anyone have any problems/complaints that I should be aware of. Is the trans the same as in the 92-95 wrangler with the 6cyl engines? Do the new TJ's have the same engine noise as the older YJ's with the 6cyl engines?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't have an answer for you ......but I'm interested in what "engine noise" you're refering to. I have a 99 TJ and the only engine noise I can detect (besides the normal noise of a pushrod motor) is a slight whistle at high vacuum since I've installed TurboCity's Rock-It tube and filter. dorfs thinks that the 99 head may have a little better flow than the earier heads ..... but he wasn't sure.
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only info I could find on the engine noise problem was at http://www.onetomany.com/jeepnews/index4.htm#
Once there, enter the "OLD NEWS" section (you may have to register, but it's free). Once in the OLD NEWS section, scroll down to April, 1999 Articles and select the 4/9/99 article labeled "More Class Action details".
From what I understand, Chrysler is currently being sued for "idle knock" noise on 91-95 4.0 engines. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had both a 92 (4.0) and a 94 (4.0) both had that idle diesel sounding idle, "cylinder slap" (that's what the dealer called it). My 99 TJ has the same engine, and no noise, smooth as silk, extremely reliable.

My third Wrangler: 99 Sahara (desert sand)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.