Off Roading Forums banner

'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

683 Views 2 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  redbeard
\'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

Has anybody heard that the exhaust manifold on the '98 TJ's will crack easily? I read an article in my local newspaper that the exhaust manifold on the inline 6 cylinder motors for 1998 was made from less than high quality steel and they are likely to crack at a seam when under pressure for lengthy periods of time. Let me know what you have heard.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'46 CJ 2-A Rusty, but still fun to drive and easy to work on./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G
Re: \'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

The exhaust manifold cracks on all 4.0 liter engines over quite a few years. they are currently on the 5th part number for the 98TJ manifold. I have cracked two. The last one went while I was travelling from Salt Lake to Vegas. The leak was so bad that it melted the bushings out of the drivers side motor mount by the time I hit Vegas. The manifold cost $450 and I replaced it in an empty lot in Vegas before I drove the rest of the way home. (So. Cal.)
This latest version has some ribs on it to help displace heat. We'll see how long it lasts.

Axlesupagain
Re: \'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

Thanks for the info. I have a '98 TJ and an '87 Cehrokee both with the 4.0 Liter inline six and I have never had a problem with the exhaust manifold. I saw the article and it made me wonder. I guess I am just lucky with what I have. The cherokee has 157,000 miles on it and never once has the manifold cracked on me. My dad bought it in '86 and gave it to me a couple years ago, so, I know for sure that it has not cracked being that I am the second owner and the first owner raised me. Good luck with your new manifold and lets hope it lasts for a few more years.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'46 CJ 2-A Rusty, but still fun to drive and easy to work on./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.