Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 z-71 1500 4x4 5.7 vortech and am wondering what can be done to increase the performance? i have 3.42 gears and am running 265 tires with an automatic transmission. I tow a 30' travel trailer and it could just use some more power! Ive got:

Drop in K&N filter
B&M Electronic Shift Improver

other than that its stock gets good mileage etc..

I've been thinking about exhaust and i've got a single in dual out flowmaster and a smooth flow magnaflow 2.5/3" Y pipe i was thinking of removing the factory muffler and putting in the Y to the flowmaster than dual 2.5" tailpipes i am wondering if it will sound good/run any stronger? is this pretty close to what the flowmaster catback system consists of? I know of a vortech blower setup for sale for cheap are they any good? can they be used towing?

· Registered
6,042 Posts
If you are towing a 30' then I would seriously consider moving up to a diesel. The 350 vortec is a fine motor but efficiency and power just cannot compete with a diesel. For your plan on the muffler instead of dual outs stick with a single 3". This is actually more efficient than the dual 2.5 and will suffer less from loss of backpressure and low end torque.

Your gears are at the low end. 373 would do you better. Of course the cost of upgrade verses the benefit is tight. You might see a drop in mpg with lower gears all around but towing would be improved.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500 4x4 5.7 Vortech it was my brother's truck he passed away in 2018 I've been the only one driving it since his passing, I've changed the fuel filter and the steering. Now I think I need to put a new ignition module on the truck because it starts but won't stay started I have a brand new battery in the truck and a full tank of gas and I have no clue what is wrong, I don't want to sell it because it's my brother's truck and it's a very good truck, just needs minor work, but I'm not a mechanic. Please help me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts