Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post on the ford page. Sold the Nissan. I am looking at a 98 xlt flareside 4x4 4.6 5spd. The truck seems to idle perfect and rev smooth past 1500 or so. but on light acceleration it seems to shudder even stopped with the clutch in. Any of you ford guys can help pin point this or a similar experience that would be great. The truck is just too cool it has 305/70-16s and motorsport headers with flowmasters.It runs and drives good other than that. Any help with this or any thing else I should watch out for would be great. Thanks Vince

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a shudder in my Ranger during idle which got worse when I revved the engine with the clutch in. It turned out be a chunk missing out of my harmonic balancer when I hit a rock wheelin. The vibes ate up the crank bearings and I ended up seizing the engine due to insufficient oil making it up into the lifter gallies. If your truck has this problem it'll have real issues down the road.

· Registered
6,800 Posts
I had a similar experience and it ended up being the radiator fan clutch going bad, WAY bad. I finally figured out where all the blue paint under my hood had come from. Grab the fan and see if wiggles fore and aft at all, then you'll know. And do it with the engine off or I'll smack you upside the head :)

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Smack

Was that the voice of experience? /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I guess we should call you "4-fingered Mike", huh?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.