Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have read a few things about supercharging the 4.0L to add horse power after adding larger tires... is this a smart idea for the long run? how much horse power am i looking to add? who makes these suckas? how much will this run me? what i am really getting at is, is it worth the time and money for the worth of the outcome? anyone? anyone? bewler?

·
Registered
409 Posts
The answer is "no". Well, "yes" if you plan on street racing where you get RPM's high enough to kick that think in. For a real Jeep, you want torque not a rice brunner type engine. Did you plan on getting glass Packs to go with that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh... well then. check out the July 02 issue of Jp Magazine and read the article called "Road Trip with Red part IV" it may change your opinion... page 86 to be exact. -thanx

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Blowers (mechanically driven instead of exhaust driven) will make power at any RPM range if you know what you are doing.
Blowers are real handy because you don't have to rev to 10,000 RPM to make good power numbers, saving you a bunch of money on valve trains, head work, exotic bottom end work, ect.

Still, you are talking about supercharging an inline 6 cylinder engine...
That's like putting a silk hat on a pig, or going to the whore house to find a wife...
Spending $3,200 on an engine that has so many other limitations isn't effective use of your money.

If you want to make power, get an injected V-8 with a blower.
If you want economy, get an injected V-6 with a blower.
It's just money spent way more effectivly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I read in an older JP mag about the superchargers. The company was Avenger(avengersuperchargers.com). They claim 317hp gains, and 352 lb-ft.torque for a 4.0L TJ. The price for the 6 cylinder is $3995. It is currently 48 state legal, CARB approval pending.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.