Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 JGC w/ V8 overheats everytime I fill the radiator with brush or whatever it is I;m driving through.

This problems usually gets worse over time, but when it's bad the Jeep is undrivable.

The issue is the space between the transmission cooler and radiator fills full of every assortment imaginable. I am planning on plugging this problem up, but wanted to know what other aftermarket solutions to overheating I could apply? Would it be good to install an electric fan? I don't think there is enough room for a larger radiator.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, when it overheats there is the possibility that oil pressure does not indicate, dieseling can occur w/ a loud knocking and it won't run. The last time this happened I kept running it like this as I had a couple of old-timers with me that didn't need to be stuck in the mountains on that soon to be very cold night. Now when I start it the power stearing is out and it doesn't register temp at all, but I have oil pressure again. Any ideas?

· Registered
10 Posts
overheating

definatley put a electric fan in, i cant say that it will definetly stop it from over heating but its worth a shot and electric fans are better and not to expensive so thats where you should start

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May have more problems

Cleaned between the radiators, fixed the power steering, fired it up and promptly overheated. No warm air coming through heater so assumed thermostat was stuck. Wedged the thermostat open and sealed hose, but now the top hose doesn't pressurize, no heat comes through heater, and pressure tank won't pressurize. The bottom hose did seem to have some pressure though and the radiator was pressurized when I went to pop the cap (don't understand this).

Out of ideas; have any ideas?

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Not bled right, clogged radiator, shot pump (no finns left), blown headgasket, cracked/warped head.

The i6 is noturious for overheating issues, you're V8 is the first for me over here.

Check the rad by flushing it with water. Very good to clean between the rad and cooler.

Did you bleed the system right? No water around the pump means no fluid to be pumped around.

Check if the pump is right. I put my money on corroded finns.

The overheating may be caused by head troubles. By vise versa, your headgasked or head may be bad too because of the overheating. See if the running engine blows bubbels in the cooling fluid. Oil in the fluid or coolant in the oil are serious indications of head trouble. To be sure, you can also keep a CO sniffer (emission tester) over the coolant neck. CO there means also head troubles.

Be sure tofind the cause of the broken parts. Or find all results of a broken down part. These things never come alone.

Are you sure the temp gauge and sender are providing the right info?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
me too

Cleaned between the radiators, fixed the power steering, fired it up and promptly overheated. No warm air coming through heater so assumed thermostat was stuck. Wedged the thermostat open and sealed hose, but now the top hose doesn't pressurize, no heat comes through heater, and pressure tank won't pressurize. The bottom hose did seem to have some pressure though and the radiator was pressurized when I went to pop the cap (don't understand this).

Out of ideas; have any ideas?
I have the 97 cherokee sport and the heater is bad and I wonder if the cooling system has a factor in this?e know what happens. That or take them for a final ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.