Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'95 YJ Front axle vacuum lock-out

Hi, Things aren't going into 4 wheel drive when I shift the lever. I'm confident the transfer case is doing
what it's supposed to, but suspect the front axle vaccuum shift "thingie". (Excuse the technical jargon :))
Any one had problems with this? What are some likely probable causes and cures?
I had this problem a couple of months ago and it went away, but now it's back. I'm wondering if COLD
weather here in Canada is doing it? Last time it did it I was wheeling in the snow (Nov.)
Thanks,
Tucker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: \'95 YJ Front axle vacuum lock-out

This is the bane of existance of all Yj owners. Its a very common problem, and can be solved a couple ways... The most popular among people here in florida, espically with open diff, play toys is to re-engineer the front disconect to where the sleve permanently connects the two axle halves together. if you have a locker or limited slip, either don't do this, or install manual locking hubs...

Or, if that's too radical, get under the jeep, on its passenger side. If you look at the front axle, you'll see a box in the axle tube, mid way between the pumpkin, and the knuckle. there should be a handfull of wires and a vacum line. make sure all of these are clean, and securly attached. This system isn't perfect either. The sleve is splined, and has to match the splines on each axle, so it won't be completly instentanious engadgement of the front axle... Try making a few turns after engadging 4wd to try and ensure that the coupler has engadged.
hope this helps.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

One other solution is the BDS Rocklock. This is a cable actuated system that replaces the vacuum can and motor. A fellow club
member uses this and has had no problems at all. It also allows you to disengauge the frontend so you can make sharp corners
with a locker.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also check the connector on top of your transfer case. There is a square-pattern 4-conductor connector that connects to the top left side of the 231 transfer case. If this gets disconnected, no 4 wheel drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have installed the rock lock on my 89 YJ. My vacuum disconnect would decide not to engage at the worst times. I installed the rock lock in about an hour. It is easy and it works. No more guessing if it is in 4wd or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I had this problem last winter, turns out that the four colored hoses that run to the vacuum can on the axle had come into contact with the exhaust and melted to it, you might want to check for this.
Matt

Jebby--89YJ 3"susp. 3"body 32"Firehawks 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where can you get information on the BDS Rocklock? Sounds like a neat toy to replace the vacuum stuff.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

This is also a very common problem with XJ Cherokees and Wagoneers, and MJ Commanches. The different solutions are posted above and they all work. I would only add that it would be a good idea to grease the collar and axle splines if you keep the vacuum system or install a cable actuator. In many cases, the collar gets stuck on the splines due to a lack of lubrication. Good Luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.