Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8V Swift engine swap into \'88 Samurai

I bought a 1988 Samurai with a frozen engine. I want to rebuild the current engine (I still don't know how serious the damage is) or swap in a different engine. I noticed that you can get complete used Swift engines (8V and/or 16V) very cheap. Is the 8V a simple bolt in (i.e., engine mounting to frame and engine mounting to transmission)? Also, can I keep my carburetor? I read some posts about the 16V requiring modifications, but I didn't see any posts about the 8V.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Willie Salminen

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: 8V Swift engine swap into \'88 Samurai

The distributor on the transverse mounted 1.3L Swift & Metro, and the 1.6L Esteem comes straight out the back of the engine so there is not enough clearance at the firewall. Some people put a Samurai head on them and I've read about some that cut out or bent the firewall. The tranny will bolt up and the Samurai motor mounts should fit.

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Geoff Beasley ,aka zukiman,who is a wrighter for off-road.com mailto:[email protected] built a swift/sam hybrid motor and at one time had a complete write up about it on his personal web page. He has since moved over to the off-road .com staff and closed down his web page. The article was very informative and gave some good reasons to go with the swift block like beefier rods etc. He also had the 1.6 valves installed in the Samurai head. I wish we could get that build up back on the web. Did you hear me Geoff?

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,lock-rite frnt,31"Hi-tech muds on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

I understand from various sources including the engine import companies that the lower half of a 1.3 liter Swift engine is the same block as the 1.3 Samurai otherwise known as G13A. This means that you could put your Samurai 8-valve header on it (after getting it checked out maybe rebuilt) with it's 90-degree distributor mount, hang the accessories on it (using new gaskets ALL AROUND Including the water pump manifold) and drop it in!

I am just completing a rebuild myself (working on the Weber carb conversion). I bought a G13a block from a donor vehicle, spent $465 at a local machine shop for a +40 boreout, refinished mains and new bearings all around and did the rest of the assembly myself with $560 worth of pistons and gaskets.

I went this route because I'm a machochist and I thought I'd learn more about how my baby ticks. I have heard that the imported route can work just as well as buying a rebuilt engine and is a lot cheaper. Just look for the G13a in the Swift or Samurai flavor...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

Cal 1-800-338-SOKO and tell them what you want. The last time I talked to them I think they wanted $350.00 plus shipping for the 1.3 motor. Their motors are straight from Japan and ALL have low miles on them. They're guaranteed to have less than 20K (I believe). I ordered a 2.0 for my Sentra SE-r for $450.00 and it was BRAND SPANKIN' NEW when it arrived. I had to add all of the emmissions from my motor (which was a lot of work) but it was still a lot cheaper and better than having my motor rebuilt. It's been a while since I talked to them about the Suzuki 1.3s. So I don't know what they're costing now. If you call 'em and they quote you a price let us know.

Give it to me; I'll break it.

·
Registered
284 Posts

I've done this swap twice there are a couple of things that are not the same. The flywheel is thinner on the Swift so use the Sammy one next if your going to an electric fan no worries but if you want to keep your Sammy fan you need to pull the timing belt off with all the other crap and switch the water pump and all the pullies to the Sammy ones there are two reasons for this one the Swift pullies are serpintine they have three small groves and the Samurai uses a v-pulley ,the water pump with the grove pulley has 4 bolts coming out to mount the pulley on and the diameter is larger than the Samurai one and will not bolt up .thats the tough part all the engine mounts and clutch cable holder bolt right on. Now the head I've always used a Samurai head and bolted it on but have heard that with the distributor coming out the back of the motor you can swap out the cam shafts if your Samurai has a manual fuel pump the cam shaft has a lobe to operate it and you need this and your Sammy distributor to drop in the Swift head .

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

how hard are the swift engines to find, i cant find one around the town im in, (unless you want to pay top dollar.

Duane_nv
lasVegas,NV
88 sami spoa.locked 8"of lift
33's lots left to do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts