Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'89 YJ

Hello Jeepers,

I have an '89 YJ - bone stock I-6 except for suspension lift and tires. My problem is a "hesitation" when I'm going 45 to 50 mph in 4th, when I upshift to 5th, it gets worse. Its been going on for about a month.
I installed a new fuel pump and fuel filter the other day and its still doing the problem. I'm also picking up oil in the air filter, not too bad yet, just traces of it. There's a crack in my muffler, tiny - but visible and audible.

Also, sometimes there's a smell emanating from the engine bay, not sure from where, but its DOESN'T smell like rotten eggs, burning rubber, oil, coolant or anything I've ever smelled before.

So there, if anyone can give me a hint on what else I should do. Please do so.
Everything is running fine with the Jeep. Except for the hesitation and stumbling when I'm at speed.

Utmost gratitude to anyone who replies,

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: \'89 YJ

Well if fuel and air are ok, then the only thing left is spark. I'd have a look at the plugs and the rotor cap.
Could also be a timing advance problem. Hope this is good advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Plugs and rotor were replaced on my winterizing tune-up at the same time I replaced the fuel filter and pump. Didn't check timing though - Thanks
Anyone else for advice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have a '94 YJ Sahara with a 4" lift and 33" BFG AT's, my Jeep has some power loss in 4th gear and alot of power loss in 5th gear. I was originally looking in the same places you are, but after talking to a few people in the forum, I am almost convinced that the problem is with the gearing in the differentials. The stock diffs are geared to provide the correct ratios for the stock tires, when you get tires large enough (32" and above) you begin to notice a difference in your power /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. Check out the thread that I have 'Big tires...Highway driving' to get some good info...... As for the other questions you have .... no idea /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.... Hope this helps...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

for the oily air filter prob, replace your PCV hoses and valve and junk that stupid PCV solenoid along the way. it just gets clogged up. your filter should stay clean now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.