Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner has an 88 yj I-6 with the Pe-U-Wee trans. It is grinding in reverse.What would be the easiest and least expensive swap.She wont be doing any hard wheeling as this is her only mode of transportation. Is there a good straight across bolt in. She needs to keep this under 1500.00. She would prefer a grand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
have you tried a junk yard... look for a tranny there.. and put it in. i would stay with the same kind.. i am not to knowledgable in the yj department, but you wouldnt be changing driveshafts.. and will bolt up. they cannot be that expensive.. i know you can get a t5 for about 350 bucks.. t-18 from 500-700 bucks.. hell that crappy little thing cant be to bad.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is bad .None of the local yards have one. When they tried the locator everyone that came back was over a grand. She doesn't want to put the Puegot trans back in it. I looked at the previous posts back to Oct.1. Most of what I saw was things people were thinking about.The rest (over half) could not be retrieved. Is the automatic from the 90"s a straight swap?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 89 YJ with the 999 auto tranny and love it. Don't know for sure if it will be a bolt in, but I do encourage you to pursue the swap. l'll catch a lot of flack for this, but l prefer the automatic on and off road in a 4x4. l still love a manual in a sports car, but not for wheelin' and towing.( my .02).

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have an 88 YJ also with the 999 automatic. It is a good tranny, and has held up to 201,000 miles so far.

The swap would be a direct bolt in for the engine in your Jeep. I am not exactly sure if you would need to make any changes to the transfer case, perhaps an input shaft or something. Also, I have heard that the driveshafts are different lengths going from the standard to the automatic, so you may need to address that too. Also, to go to the auto, you would need to buy a shifter. This could all add up to ?$

If you want to keep a standard, the AX-15 is the newer wrangler standard tranny, I think, and is supposedly quite good. I do not know if it can be mounted to the 258 inline 6 that you have however.

The option to keep the please-go peugoet tranny may cost you quite a bit - I've heard to get them rebuilt is pretty expensive too, and buying one from a junkyard is rolling the dice - they didn't last long to start with, and you may only get them to cover the tranny, not the labor to get it installed, then you would be paying even more $ if you ran into trouble....

Sounds kinda expensive either way. There are lots of options with older trannies from the CJ era, because you have the older 258 engine, but how that will all fit together with the newer np231 transfer case would need to be looked at.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with the auto. You can get a console shifter for $80. The TF999 will bolt right up to the engine and transfer case. Your driveshafts will most likely have to be lengthened/shortened but a local shop should be able to do that for $200-300 or less.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just remember that if you swap from a manual to an automatic you have to replace the flywheel with a flexplate.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.