Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 YJ with the Peugot 5 spd and a 231 transfer case.

I need to replace the internal hydralic throw out bearing, will not disengage, I replaced the upper master and now the lower leaks really bad. I would like for recommendations about whgat type of clutch & presurre plate to also.

I have heard that you can change it to an external type of throwout, what is needed to do this?

The tranny has 188K mi on it, I was thinking that Im pushing my luck with it, I want to install larger tires soon and was wanting to know of a good swap.

I know that there are a few kits out there but I thought they were for the Peugot and the 207.

The motor has about 60K on a rebuild, so I would like a tranny that would also allow for a possible engine swap later if possible. How hard would a chevy 700r be to put in?
Would I still be able to get the good compresion braking that I get now?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as well as links to anything that is along these lines.

Bob

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: 87 YJ Clutch & Tranny

I believe the BA/10 has a 21 splie output shaft so an AX5 would be a 5 speed that would work. Ok for a 4cyl but barely. Anything else will require a replacement input shaft for your 231 or a different case. AX 15's are decent. but have 23 spline output. I know nothing of 700r's or external slave kits for Peugots. Unless you are drag racing using a standard clutch is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
341 Posts
jeepete is correct on the output splines. the ba10-5 has 21 and the ax-15 has 23.

to convert from the ba to the ax, this is what i used, what needed to be done and how i did it.

>bellhousing...i called j&w and ordered one with an external slave. i think it came from a 4.0 engine since it has a cps mount on it. make sure you have the ballstud and spring for the throwout lever.

>throwout lever. cant remember the part number, but i can go from a parts diagram and tell you. i think i said 93 cherokee when i ordered mine at the dealer.

>clutch hydraulics. i used mopar part number 52104113. you will have to redrill the stud hole in the firewall, but thats no biggie. the 'carefull' hole is opening up the hole in the lollypop on the rod. the pedal's pin on mine is 1/2", and the lollypop's was 3/8". i took a bit and twisted it with my fingers so i wouldnt crack the plastic.

>new tcase input gear, 23 spline

>ax-15, where ever you get one, look for one with a small pilot or specify on the order. this way you can still use the factory pilot bearing. cherokee ax-15's will have the larger pilot. another thing to look for or specify is a 'long bearing retainer'. the external version has a throwout bearing that slides on the retainer.

>clutch, i used a Luk RepSet 05-901. the clutch disk and pressure plate are the same, along with the correct throwout bearing. pilot bearing you can get from the dealer. there may be a a set out there that has all the right parts but im not sure what it is. i think you can get one for a 97 tj with a 4.0 that is complete-complete. im not sure, but if you poke around on the web, you'll find the correct info.

>not required but recommened. a new skidplate. there was a change between the 87 and 90+ yj skidplates. getting the newer version would eliminate some cutting and drilling for the new mount.

>tranny mount. thats a no brainer. no telling what the condition is on the new tranny, if there is one.

something to be aware of is that jeep used 2 different front cases for the ax-15. you may need to replace that too, i have 2 different t-case shifters just for that situation.
>tranny shifter. the ba and the ax are different, so you will need one of those.

if you need a tranny service manual for the ax-15, my copy somehow made it to the pirate4x4 site and billavista made it a pdf (thanx billavista). i think i made a copy of it for someone and it got passed around. those are my notes on the pilot & pilot bearing dimensions on the front page. yes, i have the pdf.

its a fairly straight forward deal once you have all the parts. i called j&w and said this is what im doing...this is what i have, and sell me what i need. fantastic bunch of people out there

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bowcouple2k5/jeep%20project/clutch1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bowcouple2k5/jeep%20project/clutch2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bowcouple2k5/jeep%20project/clutch3.jpg

there are no external slave kits that i know of for the ba's. the best and most reliable bang for the wheeling buck is the ax-15 conversion. i've had no problems with mine except where i used a pilot bushing that dried out and started to squeel. i just went to the small pilot and factory bearing and all is well. t-case mounts right up without modification except for the input spline. since you gotta get in there anyways.....its probably a wise choice to replace the chain and shifter pads of the t-case and do a sye conversion.

i did this conversion almost 10 years ago, so im running off memory power. if i think of something i missed, i'll add to it. if you have any questions, post em.

if any of you guys are around the atlanta area, look for a guy named norm kibe. last i knew of norm, he had a 97 tj. great guy, good mechanic and a good friend to have. hit norm up for some info, he'll be happy to help ya out. he's got the jeeper's heart. excellant drivetrain guy. norm, thanx for all the help and all the fun wheeling we did. yeah, we were right when we thought we were bein watched that weekend at tellico.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok it looks like there is quite a bit of work to swap to the ax-15.

from the picture it looks like the clutch master & slave cylinders are one connected piece, it that right?

How expensive do you think it would be to get the right parts to do this, trans bellhousing new trans crossmember and skid plate?

I saw that there is a kit to install a new 3550 trans and it bolts in, it runs like 2600 though.

Im thinking that I might just replace the clutch for now and think about a trans swap if it gives me problems, either way it sounds expensive.

thanks for the information
Bob

·
Registered
341 Posts
the clutch hydraulics can be bought seperately as they fail, but buying as a complete unit is cheaper. from what i can remember, the parts you buy from the dealer will be the most expensive....just the way it is. the tranny will be your most expensive part if you buy a rebuilt. bellhousing will be the next.

the best thing to do is to call j&w, ask for the drivetrain guy and get a quote for everything needed to convert an 87 to an ax-15 with an external slave. im guessin it will be around $500 for all parts and hardware. it is important to ask for the hardware. there are some odd bolts used.

sourcing a tranny may be the single biggest expense in this adventure.

i think the cost for the clutch hydraulics runs around $150. clutch kit, depending on who's it is and how complete, can run from $100 to $250. throwout lever, about $40.

parts from j&w are subject to availability.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
The 700 swap isn't a cheap one either. I did that swap a year and a half ago. I did it in a CJ that came stock with the TH400. The tranny rebuild cost me $700. The engine adapter was $300. I'm not sure about the transfer case for you though. It might be possible for you to find a stock GM adapter and just swap out your input gear. You will need a shifter as well as a transmission cooler.

If you do go this route, there is a year of the 700 that everything was controlled hydraulically. I don't have a computer or wires making mine work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: 87 YJ Clutch & Tranny

I just did that swap. If you can find a complete 94-95 AX15 from a YJ, it will bolt right in and have the correct parts as far as bellhousing and input bearing retainer. If you are lucky, it will have the clutch fork also. All you would need to buy extra would be your clutch kit, a throwout bearing, and the hydraulics. It uses the same clutch disk, pressure plate, and pilot bearing as the Peugeot. Just4jeeps.com had most of those parts.
I had to buy a different tcase to replace the 207 in mine. You can just replace the input shaft on yours and be good. It sounds like a lot of work, but a little research may save you some money and give you a decent transmission.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information.
It looks like 700+ clutch and tranny.

Im going to call a local wreker that specializes in Jeeps and trucks to see what thye have as far as parts, might be the best way to go.

How much differance is there between the AX-15 and the NV3500?

This is only a weekend play to and somthing that I like to drive on the street when I get a chance, I havent had the chance to build anything on it yet, family take smoney at this point put I would like tobuild it for next summer.

Thank you so much for the input.
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts