Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 XLT 35\'s stock rims

I have an 87 bronco xlt and was wondering that size rims came stock with this year/model. I believe they were supposed to come standard w/ 15X8 but not sure. I put a tape measure between the spokes of the wheel to measure the width, but not sure where exactly point to point inner rim area I should be meaauring. It looks like 8 inches but then again not sure. The reason I need to know is because I am going to mount on 35x12.5x15 tires and heard that these tires can be placed on 15x8 stock wheels w/ no probs. Also, is it in fact safe to use this size tire on the stock 15x8 or will I need another rim w/ proper back spacing to prevent rubbing?? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
BB

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: 87 XLT 35\'s stock rims

Your original rim size is printed on the VIN sticker in the driver's door jamb, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't changed them over the years. The width is measured between the bead seats, so it's almost impossible to measure it with a tire mounted. You can measure the outside of the beads & guess how thick they are... The tire mfr. lists the recommended rim sizes, and tirerack.com has that info online for brands they carry. Without some lift or fender trimming, those tires will rub the body. Without the correct backspacing, handling will be affected. Search the forums - there's already a lot of info in the archives.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Steve. I take it you have an inline 6 also in your truck. Have you done any intake exhaust mods, cam, bolt oons etc, to your 6 that you noticed the best bang for the buck? I have to wake mine up a bit. Oh yea one more question, do you think the handling will be that adversely effected by running the stock rims with the 35's? I will also be adding a lift to it in addition. Thanks!!
BB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You need to fill out your Bio.
35s don't affect handling that much, but it will make it sluggish if you have stock gears (i.e. 3.08,3.55). If your are going to put 35s on I suggest that you have at least 4.11 or 4.56 gears. It will work with 3.55 but you will not be happy with it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

BrownBronc, does your driver door sticker list the rim size, mine does, so check there. I run 15x8 and 35's. that wheel is fine. Yes, to some extent it does affect handling because the sidewall is getting taller and you have it on a "narrow" rim. So, all it means is don't drive it like a corvette. It has the handling of a Yugo
heheheh, Yugos revisited!!!!

You will have to have a lift, or some serious trimming to fit. And you are right backspacing is critical unless you go over 4" lift. I run 3.75" backspacing to get no rub, but your year may require something a bit different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Actually, I'm running 35" SSR's with stock gearing, and am quite satisfied with the performance.

True, off the line he's been *neutered* a bit, but if your looking for a killer take-off, you shouldn't be throwing 35's and lifting.

Although, changing the gears is mighty nice....

Oh, BTW - 35's no lift? Break out the SawZall

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am also running stock gears 3.55 with 35" BFGs. It is not to bad going down a flat highway, but if you get into any mountains or hills it does not pull up them with any speed. The take offs are terrible. I don't expect this to be a drag racer, but when I get some money the gears will be the first thing changed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Damian, what's your elevation there in NY? Come up to 10k feet, it'll make a huge difference and you'll be wishing for 4.56.

Brownbronc, you can mount 35's on 15x8s. You can also mount 35's on 15x7s, but the tire shop may or may not do it for you. Like Juice said, it's only gonna affect handling in that it won't drive like a sports car. Backspacing in relation to a taller tire has little or nothing to do with handling, altho you could argue you'd want less bs w/the taller tire to increase track width and thus stability....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

You know it really wouldn't take but a little trimming to fit 35s under a stock '92-96. Steve and I measured the flex and stuff on a makeshift ramp and if I spaced or cut the front bumper about 2 inches, trimmed about 1.5 off the rear corner of the front and niped the front of the rear you can get 35s and do some moderate wheeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Backspacing

Sorry Steve, I'm gonna file that under the "in theory" stuff and disregard for real-world use on these trucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I got the torque monster inline 6 in my 87 xlt with the stock 3:55 gears. I am assuming the thing should have no prob pulling 35 inch tires which I am about to get soon. Anyone ever pull 35's w/ 3:55 gearing and felt no need to swap gears? I hope I wont feel the need to change them out as its not my daily driver anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts