Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a tech article just a "ponder" that I was having. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Why is it that nearly every tech write up about CJ's and YJ's that list a year group inevitably leave out 87,88,89, and most cases 90 YJ's from motor to body and interior stuff?
This gets very perplexing some times,

DOH!!! I know,,,, those were the off the shelf years, what ever was left on the shelf from building the CJ's was used with the addition of the left overs from the XJ's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I get the picture now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif

I even noticed this on TR's web site, by the way Aaron that is going to be a good site even if I do disagree with your M14 write up. I like that weapon and used it in VN.

Ok back to the missing years, I guess if you know what you want you will be able to pick it out from the years the vendor has parts for right?

Well lets see they used Ford starter in 87/88 and also used the smaller starter in 88. some had serpentine belts in 87 and standard V belts as well into 88
87 was the only year they used the NP207 outside of the XJ, but they used the BA10/5 in 87 and 1/2 year of 88. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

well there are a lot of other anomalies for those few years but you hardly ever get a parts supplier to list them, the years that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I have an 88 YJ. It isn't too much of an orphan since it has the auto in it. I think the puegot trans is the main reason though that no one mentions it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
the one they should omit from the YJ line up is the '91 Renegade... YUCK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gif

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I even noticed this on TR's web site, by the way Aaron that is going to be a good site even if I do disagree with your M14 write up. I like that weapon and used it in VN.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the site.....id like to read up on the M14 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the site.....id like to read up on the M14 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, though I did not read his M-14 write-up (yet), I'd hafta take exception to someone not being totally enamored w/ it. Though I did not have the priviledge/pleasure to use in wartime, I've shot it enough that ME LIKEY ALOT!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif Unlike the M-16, it WILL 'reach out and touch someone...' in the right hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.junkyardgenius.com

follow the links to the Table of Contents page.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John TR has a nice site started and if you look through it you will find the write ups on the M14 and the AR15. I liked it but I have some negatives with the AR15, But that is just my opinion as well as Aaron's on the M14A1.

I wonder if Aaron ever saw one of the first AR's to reach VN? Naw,,, if he did he would also have had to place the stock manufacturer in there and what the GI's called the first batch of AR that hit VN... anyone know? I do hehe....

Oh yeah his site Junk Yard Genius

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a 88. All good here. 258 TF999 and the 231

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yeah, the path to progress is often scattered with small misdirected side paths. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lo and behold, they eventually created the 4.0 fuel injected motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, better trannys, an external slave cylinder, offered a dana 44 rear end, and lost the vacuum disconnect. So, at least they arrived at progress, even if it wasn't fully until 1997 for all that stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The best would have to be a 1987 YJ, 6 cyl carbureted, with a Pugeot 5 speed, dana35 rear, NP207, and serpentine belt. eek. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Add that Renegade package and you'd have yourself quite a Jeep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crybaby.gif

My 88 has v-belts, a 999 auto, a 258, small starter, and a 231.

Pete

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have an 89 with a 258 tf999 231 v belts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I have an '87, well an '87 frame, body, front axle housing, front drive shaft, and 1/2 a 231. It was the typical v belt 258, puke and go, 231 (not sure if it was swapped in or not). I really wish all yj's had the 4.0 or FI 2.5, tf999 or ax5/15, and 231 in em, would had made my life much easier.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My '88's got the 258 serp belt, stock AC, AX15 swapped in for the puke and go and a 231. My front is a broom stick, when'd they go to the bigger front drive shafts?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My '88's got the 258 serp belt, stock AC, AX15 swapped in for the puke and go and a 231. My front is a broom stick, when'd they go to the bigger front drive shafts?

[/ QUOTE ]

95. But you can order new from DC 4wd and they come with the bigger U-joint. The YJ and TJ driver side shaft is the same length so you can grab one off a TJ and swap it in. You can also use the long side TJ in your YJ if you eliminate the vac disco and add a larger axle seal on that side.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The best would have to be a 1987 YJ, 6 cyl carbureted, with a Pugeot 5 speed, dana35 rear, NP207, and serpentine belt. eek

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey add brown paint and you have my Jeep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

But the 207 is gone and so is the puke n go. I have an NP231 and a TF999 installed now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Man, that's gotta hurt, GP'n. It doesn't get much worse than that. No offense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think we've done that before, haven't we -- what's the biggest turd Jeep? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gif

That combo's gotta be close to the top of that list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crybaby.gif

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts