Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'86 Dana 44

Anyone have (or had) a stock '86 CJ with the Dana 44 rear. I was wondering what the gear ratio probably is
I have the 999 auto tranny & 258 engine. The tag is missing. Just wondering if anyone had this configuration, what
may be typical to this.

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Re: \'86 Dana 44

Me too. Towing package with 3.31's
There's a letter code stamped on the rear housing just to the passenger side of the diff cover. That'll tell you what was in there from the factory. If the chart is gone from ORC, then it should be at the jeeptech website.

· Registered
397 Posts

I've got the 2.73 which is, of course the mpg gears, (I get an average of 15.8). I was wondering, what kind of mpg do you get with the 3.31's, or don't you keep track?

Jeeper2
'86 CJ7/258/HEI/TF999/Dana44

· Registered
1,115 Posts

Gas mileage...Jeep? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I don't keep track, plus it pretty much only sees 'city' driving for the 10 mile drive to work and it's got 32x11.5 BFG MT's on it and a somewhat tired 4.2 under the hood saddled with that marvel of modern engineering, the Carter BBD carb. Not exactly a recipe for fuel efficiency /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Plus its' got the aerodynamics of a brick and enough air leaks and rust holes to bring the outdoors inside. I think Easter weekend will be spent removing rust and adding diamond plating so that this puppy survives until I restore it with a new tub next year. Funny thing is the front clip almost looks showroom fresh...
My '83 with a halfway decent 4.2, Weber 32/36, Blackjack headers, Jacobs ignition, Duraspark cap & rotor, the same running gear and gear ratio with 31" AT's was good for about 17 mpg on a good run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Jeepskate, Did you say Blackjack hedders? I knew a guy who had some of those back in the day, the only hedder he could find for the 258 at the time. Did you buy it recently? If so where from? I would love to get one, I remember it being a good resonable priced hedder.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

· Registered
7,901 Posts

Jeepskate:

I may be wrong, but the M20 had the letter codes, not the D44's, they had the tag. You may have to jack it up and check the rotation to figure it out.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

· Registered
4,060 Posts

If anyone wants the 3:31 gears, I've got a complete set of them front and rear for Dana 44 axles. The rear is also factory posi. $100 for the front gears and carrier and $150 for the rear gears and posi, s&h.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: brain fart

I went out & stared at the axle again, no stamp, glad you guys figured it out I thought I was going blind. I think Im gonna just take the diff cover off in the next few days, I hope their at least 3:31's, that'll buy me some time with 32" tires before I can save up for the 4:10's. Thanks for the input.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hummmm.....miles per gallon....MPG's....well.....I guess you have to have a speedo for that....and it has to work....no wonder nobody knows what they're getting..../wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

· Registered
1,115 Posts

A piece of string on the driveshaft and a chalk mark on a tire will get you in the ballpark (round up/down), though it's probably a good idea to crack your pumpkins anyway and put in some fresh lube.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Welllllll......... I took the diff cover off tonight. Saw the 49 18 on it. I'm a little dissapointed./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Was hoping for at least 3:31's to
get me by until I feel comfortable shelling out the $$$ for 4:10's, but I don't think that the jeep is gonna like it when I put the 32's on with the 2:72 gears.
Drive Train Direct wins out in the end, maybe money will fall out of the sky & I'll get a locker to put in there when the gearwork is done. Thanks for your help, and to the guy who has the posi., I emailed you about it. Let me know.

· Registered
1,115 Posts

Yes, Blackjack with the ceramic coating. Bought them back in late '92/early '93 when I had a replacement engine dropped in before I moved to Illinois. I pretty sure they're still available as well as Hedman...Borla hadn't started making them for CJ's yet & I couldn't afford Clifford. Should be able to find them in a Mr. Gasket catalog (they own Blackjack, Thrush/American Exhaust, and tons of other brands).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.