Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 cj D44 converted to 3/4ton full-floater???\'s

has anyone done this, heard of it being done, or know why it can't be done? this is what i am thinking: i have the D44 out of my 86 cj-7 currently under my 84 cj-8 and the M20 from the '8 in the '7. i am planning on taking a chevy 3/4 ton d44 front axle and cutting it down to fit in the front of the cj-8. i was going to run a d60 in the rear. but, would it be worth it to take the cj D44, adapt on GM 3/4 ton spindles, hubs, rotors, lockout, caliper plates, and calipers and have an 8-lug FF rear D44 with lockouts? i wouldn't mind if it increased the width, i'll just make the front to match. i also realize i would have to have custom shafts made. i recall reading where someone took d30 front parts and put them on the old cj narrow D44 so that they could have hubs on the rear. any input would be greatly appreciated. the main reason for going with the D44 over the D60 is weight, size, and ground clearance. the D60 will be free, but i will have to narrow it, have new shafts made, and adapt disc-brakes to it. thanks for any input, recommendations, or suggestions! matt

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: 86 cj D44 converted to 3/4ton full-floater???\'s

hmmm,
i'm sure it could be done, but i don't think it would be worth it myself.
i'd convert the GM 44 to 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern or (sell that factory cj 44) and swap front 8-lug rotors and hubs onto the rear 60 if your looking to run lockout hubs.

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton

G

·

There has been some talk about grafting front axle parts (spindles out) onto rear axles. I have a prototype rear d44 with front d44 parts sitting in my garage. I'll post some picks someday...

My impression of chevy 3/4 ton fronts is that it is they're the same as 1/2 ton (what you have now) but with a 8-bolt pattern. The axle shaft and lockouts are the same. I think it's called a D44-HD (heavy duty). So by swapping over to a D44hd up front, you're maybe only gaining larger brakes. HOWEVER, now you can add a D60 outback and have the same bolt pattern all around.

I would not waste my time grafting 3/4 stuff to the rear 44, just go with the 60. However you could gain some strength by adding 1/2ton front stuff to the rear 44 you have now.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email][email protected][/email]

G

·

If you go with a 60 in the rear, i might be interested in the d44 from the '86, if ya wanna sell it that is.

'85 Scrambler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts