Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to upgrade engine from 6 cyl to 350 carb with 700R trans mated to the stock Dana 30 t-case useing Advanced Adapters trans to t-case setup with the weld in motor mounts. At the same time I would like to do a spring-over conversion to allow for 33's. I have done serious work on my 4x4 (jap) but know nothing about this American gem. Can anyone give me their advise on this setup, and how good is the 700r trans, I have heard that it is not a very good trans. I will also add detroits in the front and rear. This vehicle will be used for mild to semi hardcore wheeling, and I want to do it right from the get-go. What are your thoughts.
2) If I do the spring-over and shackle reversal, how can I correct the steering?>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Andy, sounds like a good basic idea. With the auto and 33's shoot for a crawl ratio in 1st gear lowrange of about 50:1. The 700R4 was
a pretty crappy trans when it first came out. Lots of problems. GM steadily improved them over the years to a fix the bugs. I'd suggest
taking the trans to a very good shop and explain to them exactly what you plan on using it for and get their input. They will probably suggest
the lastest a combo of the latest OEM and aftermarket parts to make it as reliable as possible.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,
Thanks for the input. This is a whole new adventure for me and I want to do it right for the start. I have 3 sets of suspensions in my shop all with shocks and steering pieces because I leared (and paid for it) as I got more serious. I dont want to make the same mistakes this time. I would like to do it all correct from the start.
Andy

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The 700R4 is a good tranny once upgraded, but if its an older tranny(83 - 90 era)they need a lot of work. We tried using them to pull our race boats from LA to the Colorado River(about 250 miles of desert,and a couple of long steep grades),I could never get one to hold up through even one entire summer without self destructing. The 350 is a great swap,but for even semi seriouse wheeling, with the direction that rock crawling trails are going, a TBI upgrade might not be a bad idea. I still dont believe in using slush boxes for Extreme Wheelin or Rock Crawling but I know Im in the minority nowadays. The spring over suspension is a very good set up you may want to consider using the longer YJ springs,and deffinitely a shackle reverse. There are also some less known, but very good shock mount modifications for the front and rear that allow for the use of 33" shocks with 14" of travel and the added benefit of moving the lower mounts up and out harms way. 50:1 is a good moderate ratio using an Auto but you can go lower with an overdive and still work well on the Hwy especially if its primarily a trail rig. For a manual 80:1 is not bad, I am currently running 120:1 and it works very well, and still drives fine on the road. Have fun sounds like a great project.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.