Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a 85 bronco in the local paper here for 300.00 no title they just want to get it out of there yard my question is does a 85 have the 8.8 rear or the 9". they told me it runs but since they dont have the title and are tired of it taking up space it needs to go not sure on the engine /tranny will find it out later

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
should be an 8.8, but they used nines sometimes upto about 85, but they ended using 9's in 82, or 83.

G

·
Some also had the 8.8. Check the axle code on the door if the sticker is still there. I'll try to remember to check the codes tonight.

G

·
wish I was in Alabama...I never find parts Broncos up here in eastern Washington!
My 85 has the 9 inch rear end. I will vouch to say they were available in that year.
Didn't the 8.8 inch rear end have an inspection cover on the back side??? I know the nine inch only has the bolts on the front side. Unless I am incorrect (that could never happen) you should be able to tell them apart easily without checking the codes.
Anybody reading this, if I am wrong, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be corrected...I hate being a dumba** and blowing nonsense out my *&*$%#*&!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
you are absolutely correct - I've gotta 8.8 on the springs & a 9" in the bed ready for gears & a locker . . .

8.8 - cover on back
9" - studs come through the front

an easy i.d. if you can put your eyeballs on it !!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: 8.8 / 9

yeah, my buddies parts bronco is an 85, and its got the 9" in it. I was under the assumption that in 87 they went solely to the 8.8, but that it showed up in rare occassions before then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts