Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 84 2wd, 2.8 v6 and auto. It has a carburetor and runs fantastic, when sitting still. as soon as i take my foot off the break and start to move, it stalls out and dies. I put it back into park, and it starts back up and runs good, until i once again start to move and does the same thing.

At first i thought it was bad gas, so i drained it all out and replaced the tank switch. ( it has two tanks )

No change.

Then I thought maybe it wasn't getting gas very good, so I installed a new filter, added a clear inline filter and changed the mechanical pump.

No change.

Was told it might be one of the thermal sensors in the thermostat housing, so installed both of them, and was told to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset computer.

No change.

Was told it was probably a bad connection in one of the sensors, so i disconnected them one at a time and scrubbed with electrical parts cleaner, dried them and reconnected.

You guessed it, No change.

This is a beautiful little truck, and i don't want to give up on it.

Any suggestions would be a huge help.

Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It revs fine, i can put it in gear and sit there and it seams fine. i have looked for a vac leak but can't find any. tried spraying carb cleaner all over while running and didn't affect the rpm.

can anyone tell me what type of sensor it is that is coming out the back of the carb? it is round, about two inches long and has two wires coming out of it at a right angle toward the passenger side. all i can think of at this point is some type of fuel sensor is misreading or not working at all and shutting off fuel in carb.

· Registered
421 Posts
are you near vancouver by any chance? might be able to make some time if you are.

there will be some vac lines that are manifold vac (always have vac) and ported vac lines (above the throttle plate and only have vac at throttle). I would check into those ported vac lines. Also, for testing only, disconnect and plug all the vac ports at the carb. If it works after disconnecting then you know it is a vac leak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.