Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'83 Backfire

Greetings,
Well, the '83 has run well for the past 11 months but about 3 weeks ago it started backfiring. A lot. Nothing has really changed with the truck, except my cat/muffler/exhaust is rusted out and I recenly lost about 8" off the tip of the tail pipe.

It's a carbed 300 6. Suggestions on what to look for for clue and solutions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Re: \'83 Backfire

If it loses power and bucks when it backfires.....you need a new Duraspark box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

There doesn't seem to be any change in power when it backfires... just every once in a while (sometimes when I take my foot completely off the gas) BABNG! from the back right of the truck.

Are the fumes building up beneith the truck because of all the holes in my exhaust and the lack of a tip? If I replaced the exhaust would it get these fumes away from the truck and not ignite? ...or not...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sometimes if you don't have enough back-pressure it will cause your truck to backfire. The loss of your exhaust could be causing this. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

·
Registered
5,301 Posts

It's probably the carb running rich (when did you rebuild it last?), the dist getting out of time (when did you last put a timing light on it?), the EGR malfunctioning (read Haynes on how to test it), or just a worn out engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts