Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'82 CJ7 computer-run or not?

I have an 82 CJ7 and was considering the GM HEI conversion. In the instructions of the install it said that the mid-'82 production changed over to the computer. My question is how can I tell whether mine is computer run (what are things to look for)? I still have the original Carter BBD (8349) on the 258, if that says anything. Thanks for any input.
CJace Chase

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: \'82 CJ7 computer-run or not?

look behind your glove box for a tin box that says Ford on it if its there you have a computer. Also if you have a couple of plugs on the back of your carb you might have one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

On '82 4.2s, the computer mounts on the left inner fender near the power steering pump. Later models mount inside the Jeep.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts

Easiest way, computer controlled have a check engine light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Like Darin said check behind the glove box or if there is a plug on back of carb with wires running back into the loom look over by the battery tray and there will be a small loom running back thru the firewall. The box on the inner fender is the ignition module. I have an 82 scrambler and don't have the computer but have seen other 82's that do. Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Forget the check engine light test....CJ's didnt have them.

Quickest way for me to tell is to look at the back of the carb and see if you have the stepper motor (2-3" long cylindical plug type thing with wires coming out of the back of it). If you do then you are computerized.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Kalifornia CJs with 2.5l GM 4 cylinders do have check engine lights. '81 and 82 4.2l CA spec have the Ford computer system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.