Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i know someone can help out... what's the difference between a serpentine belt system and a v-belt system when it comes to the radiator? i am looking for my radiator (2-core, cap offset to the drivers side) still and a local salvage yard seems to say the v belt sys radiator wont work. why? this radiator is a pain to find and a re-core in my area is about $190. any suggestions? im in los angeles

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: 82 258 radiator?? diff btw serpentin/v-belt dr

Don't fight it. You should be able to buy a brand new brass and copper 3-core Modine for about $200. I paid $195.27, including tax, a couple of years ago, and seen them mentioned for prices in that range recently.

And on your original question, there's no inherent difference between radiators on a V-bels system versus a serpentine belt system. However the two turn the water pump and fan opposite directions. It might be that the difference in pumps makes a difference in hoses - either a different size or running to a different spot in the radiator.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

ok thanks...well i guess i gotta save my pennies..thanks again

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

I bought one of these and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Not sure if this relates or not but I just hung the CJ front clip onto my YJ tub over the weekend. What I found is that the 90 4.2 block with the serpentine belt setup puts it's clutch fan too close to the CY radiator, fan will NOT fit. I'm using an electric mounted in front of the radiator and hopefully will be O.K. Even if I wasn't using the 4.2 clucth fan it still looks to be very close clearance between the water pump and the radiator. I'm guessing that the serpentine water pump may be a bit deeper than the regular one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts