Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'81 Datsun

Just drove home my brand new '81 Datsun King Cab :)

Probably get some pictures tommorow morning. I'd be interested in some info from anyone familiar with the truck. Can never have too much information. Oh, is there anyway to solidify the sun baked plastic? I'd just like to prevent more of it from turning to dust.

JSent
Opened the hood and behold there lay the vast emptiness of a straight 4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

It's my trail toy, I don't plan for anything serious with it i'm only a casual off road user. Currently use it to get my friends and me further into the hills with our mountain bikes. Probably take it into anza(more towards temecula and not ocotillo) with the rest of the group, we check the sights on the rifles in the hills out there. That's just right now though. I wanna get some apparel on it, brush guard, roll bar, lights, and replace the bumper. Was looking at replacing the Z22 with the Z24 probably do it when this engine dies on me. Maybe partials but i'd have to research them a bit more, shouldn't need them unless I want to drive more serious terrain. Then there's the bench the previous owner put in back. I'm not sure if I want to keep it there since it does provide a nice covered storage area or try to find the original seats since they'd be better at fitting a human back there (with seatbelts).

Guess it's more of my version of another young guy with money to spend on a fancy sports car. I'm just not into car's :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

What kind of bumper are you lookin into?

I am going to be lookin into gettin an ARB bullbar for my 4runner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: \'81 Datsun

nice truck J.

pavement sucks,putem in the mud. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif81 datsun 720 4x4 /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah, mostly in the wheel wells, the bottom corners of the window and that indent along the side of the truck. For an 81 however it's fairly clean, the benefits of living in an irrigated desert :)

I have an concept for a brushguard, it's small and simple i'll see if I can get a drawing up (I actually saw it on a plastic model :p). One thing I need to do and the local 4x4 shops don't carry is a tube bumper on the back, right now I got a step and that's gonna get caught on stuff. There's some mechanical issues I gotta work out, the oil seal on the tranny is being eaten up by a slightly warped drive line, or maybe it's just the joint. Either way I gotta fix that before replacing the seal and making sure it didn't chew up any metal in there. I got the truck I wanted though, a small 4banger 4x4, the lipped truck bed with good strong tie downs. Not powerfull enough for rock crawling but good enough for my exploration bug.

How you like yours alarman?
Oh and the local Nissan mechanic (who say's he had one of these for 9 years before selling it to a friend who's still driving it today) said the best thing I can do as a performance upgrade is to have the exhaust redone, i'm assuming he means improving the flow and a better air filter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

well J i have to say i love it. would have rather gotten a king cab but couldn't pass this one up.i had a few probs. with mine also but nothing major, cv joints,and a little bit of rust thats about it.all and all a good little,big truck. hahaha i put 35's on it. good luck on your truck.

pavement sucks,putem in the mud. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif81 datsun 720 4x4 /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

35's :p
I got P235/75R15 General Grabber AP's on there now, I have to get new tires soon, just noticed one of the previously driveable worn down from poorly aligned wheels has begun to tear (I can see threads :p) so i'll be shoppin for tires soon as I take this off so I don't kill myself on the drive home.

JSent
Mmmh fresh tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

what are you going to put on? I think i'm going to go down to 33/12.50's. The 35's are a bit much.Are you planning on a lift or just staying stock height?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well I just went down to 225/75R15, apparently stock is like a 215/75R15 and I felt the 235's were stressing out my lil, unimproved, poorly ventilated, Z22. Bought cheap tires (Trailmark APR's) saying to myself that if there isn't much of a change in performance I might as well get the Wrangler AT's (mmmh). If this size works out as I like then i'll probably go with Dueler AT's since they make those in a 225. I don't have any plans for modifications as it is, other then some tubular accesories. Be spending most my money on restoring and maintaining :)

JSent
He hehe, I havn't been this upbeat afterwork in a while :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I am running 31 Goodyear Wrangler ATs.

They are almost bald now.....the dealers are telling me they quit manufacturing the Wrangler AT's. Are you talking about getting used Wrangler AT's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The AT/S's are all that bad. A buddy in the hunt club is running those on his Ford. He seems to like them.

Now as far as the GSA's......boy those suck. My friend has them on his jeep. He can't stand them b/c of how easy they fill up in the mud. Now I guess the tread pattern looks appealing to some...but it doesn't make me wanna do any cartwheels over em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

nice truck, looks like its in great shape for the year. have to admit i'm jealous...the 720 is ugly in a beautiful way. i had a 1985, similar truck. since you said there couldn't be enough info...my truck had a susp/body lift and 32" tires. I've broken a torsion bar, torn an A arm out of the frame, broken an idler arm, and went through two trannies. those were the weak points, but everything else held up well. I was very very hard on that truck, and the rest of the running gear, ie engine, trans case, axles were absolutely bulletproof. i'd like to hear from someone who had trouble with those components because i'd be shocked. I'd own one again but frankly i'm afraid of the tranny. Yours probably has a different tranny, maybe its stronger. Of the course the 85 had a different front suspension than yours, so i don't know how yours will hold up. The good news is all of the 720's had a divorced transfer case, so is a solid axle swap in your future? Should not be hard for that truck, i've seen one done before. Good luck bud.

Rondo
2000 Frontier 4x4 Kingcab V6
1995 Wrangler(lifted and locked)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well the truck is my daily driver right now so I don't think the solid axle conversion is for me. As for the tranny, the 81 has a Z22 engine compared to the Z24 your 85 had. I think the difference is like 30 hp, i'd have to look but i know the Z22 only has 104hp. Too qoute the local nissan mechanic, "too under powered to really do any damage". :)

Anyone know how much of an angle you're supposed to have on the propeler(?) shaft? It's that lil one going into the transfer case. The joint at the transmission is bad, too much play, resulting in a wobble that's created a leak in my oil seal. Me and my dad were looking at it, trying to figure out what went wrong and our current idea is that the transfer case is mounted too low or the transmission is too high (there's a plate under it with somthing looking like a bushing) which created more angle then the joint could handle and thus my problem. Figure i'd fix that before fixing the seal.

JSent
Must get my hands on that camera again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Would you mind posting the dimensions of your rear seat Jsent. I'm looking to install something similiar in my 81 kingcab.
Lance720
81 720 2" suspension lift, 3"body lift, 31"tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

ive killed the rear diff on my 1980 720 just recently and its had 2 motors in it since i got it.Need new idler arm now as i tore all the bushes out of it

Confucious say life begin at 21

Confucious die at 20

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.