Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought someone would fine this interesting. In a new Harbor Freight catalog I receved today there
is a 12 volt winch 8000lbs line pull. Includes one hawes fairhead and 94 ft of 5/16 cable.
There house brand name of Chicago Electric. Looks like a Ramsey to me. They even
have a 8000 LB Ramsey for sale on a nother page looks and sounds like the same winch???
The price of the Ramsey is $549.99
The price of the Chicago Electric 8000 winch is $299.99 on sale reg price of $329.99 so there
is $30 bucks off and free shipping. CATALOG 727-H/WINTER 2000 or

[/url]www.harborfreight.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about you but I would be more than happy to rig up a control for it. I looked at both the CHI and the Ramsey winches as closely as I could in the catalog and they both look exactly alike to me. I may look around for that winch at other places knowing that Harbour Freight is a little high on some things. Looks like I may be getting a cheap winch soon.
Good Luck,
Aaron

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd be careful of the Chicago Electric. I bought one of their electric impact wrenches, didn't take many uses to kill it, although I was beyond the warranty. I think they use bronze bushings in place of bearings, saves cost. Not good for life.
IMHO, you get what you pay for.
Keep us posted on your decision and experience.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have to say beware of anything from Harbor Freight Tools. Not to say that their stuff is really bad, but you do get what you pay for. I buy some of my tools there that I know won't see a lot of hard use or things like air hoses, angle finder, levels, etc.. I definitely wouldn't use one of their $20 click-type torque wrenches or any power tool (or winch) that would see use on a regular basis. They just aren't made to last like a name brand like Craftsman or Snap-On or Mac. It might look the same, but from first hand experience, it's not!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, they've also got a 5000# Ramsey winch for (I think it was) $365, which should be adequate for a Jeep. Still a pretty good price.

-Dana

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. - Thomas Jefferson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.