Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 YJ is and will remain a daily driver with limited off road trail use (no rock crawling- just rambling down thru the woods). I'd like to strengthen the rear and go to discs, and from some of the posts I've read, it sounds like swapping in an 8.8 Ford Explorer rear with yield a stronger rear with disc brakes & retain the stock wheel bolt pattern. Sounds too easy- what am I missing? What work needs to be done on the 8.8 to make the swap, and what year Explorer makes the best donor. My YJ currently has a 258/999 auto/231 xfer. I will be changing to a 231C xfer/700R4 auto and 350 TBI Chevy in the near futute. Plan to do a SYE on the 231C during the swap. Last ?, what were the most common gear ratios offered in the 8.8s with the various Ford drivetrain combos? TIA for your advice!

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I too have thought about this swap. The 8.8" rear ends are fairly strong. A friend of mine is running one in his mustang that puts 350hp to the rear wheels. Not sure about stock gear ratio's, probably 3.54? Keep us posted on the swap, sounds good.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
95 and newer will get you the disc brakes. They commonly came with 3.73 gears, and some have a trac loc LSD. If you need to regear it, there are no carrier breaks. But I've recently found out that if you go with deeper gears than 4.56 you are limited to the trac loc or an ARB. I had done a lot of research on this swap for my 4 banger, and wanted 4.88 gears and either a lock right or detroit locker /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Still looking for more details in this swap. To get discs, I'll need to look for a '95 or newer Explorer. How does the OAL of the Ford axle compare to the model 35? Do I need to get the Ford driveshaft to get the yoke to graft onto the Jeep driveshaft? What were the most prevalent gear ratios offered with particular drivetrain combos from '95 up? Spring perch size/location, will I have to modify these? I'm not too lazy to crawl around in the boneyard doing research (this is actually one of my favorite pasttimes!) but I like to have an idea of what to look for ( gleaned from the experience of others) prior to doing so. Also, for those who might have already done the swap or checked into it, what is a ballpark $$ range for a donor Explorer axle? TIA for your replys!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the swaps I have seen of 8.8" into wranglers required new spring perches and shock mounts, and you will need a new driveshaft for the SYE anyway so that shouldnt be much of a concern. I'm not sure on the axle width but I know it is very close barly a noticable differance when the jeeps done

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called around last thursaday and in Maryland the going price is about $850 for the 78.8 out of a 95 or newer ford explorer. Check out M.O.R.E. 's web page for thier kit for this swap. Its only like $110 or so and it comes with the Ubolts, spring perches, and shock mounts, all ready to be welded on. I think their web page is www.mountainoffroad.com I am planning on doing this swap in a few weeks so I'll let yuou know how it goes.

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently finished this swap on my 89 as well. I paid $650.00 for an 8.8 out of a 96 w/ discs. Over all lenth is about 3/4 of an inch less than your D35. Your current drive shaft will work w/o modifications, just make sure you get the Ford flange w/ the rearend. If you are running SOA you will definately need a SYE/CV kit. I also recommend MORE's kit. It is a little expensive but it all fits, its easy and its new. I am too lazy to hunt around for brackets! It is an easy swap. The brake lines are really the only issues that requires some imagination. I just did this a few weeks ago so feel free e-mail me if you have any other questions

· Registered
4,438 Posts
I just finshed my second 8.8 swap last fri. night. On both swaps(both SOA) I had to shorten the rear drive shaft, but the U joints bolt right up to the heavy duty 8.8 pinion yoke. It is agreat swap. I moved my lower shock mounts from below the axle tubes to above them,(had a pro do the axle welding),then I fabd a cross member above the axle, and relocated the upper shock mounts inward towards the center line of the Jeep. This allows the use of the current long travel shocks,I was using when the mounts were almost 7" lower. The long shocks can now swing in an arch downward and extend for very good downward travel,especialy with the added unsprung weight of the 8.8., but still allows full unrestricted travel upwards. I have a loaded D35 axle(detroit,4.56 SOA perches), for sale if anyones interested. The whole project was about $1400 with a detroit,and 4.56 gears(that accounts for almost $800 in parts alone), I was able to pick up the 95 explorer axle(3.73 Trak Lock)in Reno,Nv for $425. The hardest part, really, is adapting the brakes,and cutting off all of the extra Explorer bracketry. Also I could not find the combined components to use stainless brake lines so Im running rubber intill I can solve the prob. The drum E-brake adapted fairly easily anyway. I Took it out and got it dirty this weekend,it worked without a flaw. The 8.8 is almost identical to the 9" in specs(the 9" has the advantage of double pinion supports) but they both have very similar pinions,ring gears and 1.32" Dia. axleshafts. Some earlier 9" axles had the inferior 28 spline axle shafts. It would be a much more affordable swap if you didnt need to swap the existing gears and locker.
Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious about what you guys are doing about the c-clips. Are you running the rearends with the c-clips or are you replacing the axle with non c-clip type? I have been running an 8.8 in my XJ for about 3 months. I went with a full spool, c-clip eliminators, and 35 spline axles. This past weekend, a drag racing friend needed my set-up for his ranger, so I sold it to him. Now I have a ride setting in my garage with out axles or diff. The reason I sold it was the stupid c-clip eliminator setup leaked axle grease all the time. Now I will go back to the stock 31 spline axles with some sort of locker. Have any of you used the C-Locker from Detroit? What would be a good strong locker that will accomadate the c-clip axles. I do agree that this is an easy swap. My swap was a XJ, but the XJ and YJ are about the same as far as the running gear goes. If anyone is interested, I priced about 10 8.8's for this swap. The highest price was $500 with all the pieces to do the swap. I got mine for $400.00 from a 95 Explorer with 6500 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.