Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1977 wagoneer, 360, automatic w/ quadratrac...

i've developed a pinging/clunking sound when under load on my wagoneer. it only does it in gear. park and neutral are fine. i can idle around with no noise but once under load it makes the noise. it sounds like it's coming from the bell housing area. any ideas? thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 77 wagoneer noises

Sounds like your QT chain is in need of replacement. There is an access hole at the bottom of the case to check how much slack is in the chain. If it's over 1/2 to 3/4", replace the chain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Is it more like a racheting sound? If it is the chain, it will "clunk" once or twice at first, but it will keep getting worse. The chain is loose enough to jump the sprockets.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks guys. The sound is more like some one put a metal on my drive shaft or a screwdriver in the fan. The sound is not a single clunk or ping. It's consistent with the engine's speed. I've been leaning toward a flywheel/torque convert problem. One other note, shortly after the noise started an oil leak developed in the bellhousing/rear end of the engine area. Am I on the right track? Thanks again.

Uhhuh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.