Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'73 CJ-5, All Stock, Rip or Restore?

I just bought a '73 CJ-5.
304 V-8, T-18 Trans, D20 T-case, D-44 w/one piece axles rear, D-30 up front, Manual Steering & Brakes.
Body is border line shot, Fenders are shot, Hood, Grill & Frame VERY good, Windshield frame fare to good.
Factory front bumber with brushguard. Drum brakes all the way around.
Any ideas what it might be worth and what I should do with it?

Believe it or not, I found this thing being used to turn a water pump in the local Amish settlement!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: \'73 CJ-5, All Stock, Rip or Restore?

Reason I asked is because there is one for sell local:

"1975 CJ5 Jeep
Good running condition, 6 cylinder, new top, new brakes, in good condition. $2,600."

I drive past it everyday. The body is in great shape. Wish I had the money. It's been out there all summer, I bet they'd sell it cheap once winter sets in...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

TR, If you can get it at a good price...$500-$750 Pull the tub off, go fiberglass (or stainless...) and run it. The 304 is a good motor, T-18 is strong, D20 is good. If it doesn't already have it, put a MC2100 on it and wheel the snot out of it.

Check that rear 44, they came stock with the 2 pc axles. If it has a big nut in the hub, it's still 2pc.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

The 73 D44 should have the 1-piece axles. That T18 should be the close ratio, 4 to 1. Still nice to have. You should have the 2100 on there already too. You have 11 inch drum brakes. The only down side is the skinny springs and skinny frame. Go with less lift and trim more if you're going to wheel with it.

From my experience it's worth more in parts than it is whole if the tub is shot. I've gotten 3-500.00 for the NT axles. I've gotten $350.00 for close ratio T18's with the 20 attached. A good running 304 will grab a few hundred as well. Then all of the small parts will net you another few hundred.

Go for the later model one and put a T18A behind the I6, convert it to a 2100 and lift away.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

Glad you made it Aaron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

WOW, Aaron is back!!!! Welcome back.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yup, I made it!
A little JAVA problem with MS Exploring the limits of my good nature...

Netscape hooked up the first try.

Glad to be here (actually, glad to have the time to waste here!).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
glad to have the time to waste here

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste?
Waste?
Why, that's just CRAZY TALK!!!!!!
Time spent here is time very well spent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wasn't around when you were a regular, but based on others opinions, I too am glad you're here now.
You need to hook up at Redbird with some of us Hoosiers sometime soon, before you disappear again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

I bought one just like that for $1500 last month. body totally gone. But running gear perfect. bought a cj7 out of a junkyard, frame and body only. Going to build me a cj7. You cannot find cj7 used around here for less than $5000

·
Registered
340 Posts

I'd restore, keep the steel body if possible! You just don't see any clean fives around anymore! I don't know if it's age or what, but I'd rather look at/am more impressed with a clean original restore!

·
Registered
854 Posts

Good to see you back on the board. I'd pull the tub and replace it. When you the tub off take some time to look closely at the frame. The front part of many of those old frames are not boxed, not sure of the model year that it changed. The unboxed ones have a tendency to twist. Good for flex, bad for cracking. Another good place to look is the front spring hangers. The can crack and twist at the front spring mount. If you have those issues, the frame can be boxed. Someone was also making new side plates to reinforce those front horns.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

'73 factory V-8's were boxed in the front, first year for it.
I did some sand blasting on the front frame today, and from what I can see, it's nearly perfect.
I'm having to replace the steering gear, so I pulled the mount sand blasted the frame where the mount installs, and used metal prep and sealer in the frame and on the mount and new steering gear housing.
(I hate it when people half-a$$ a project)
I've found no reason to suspect anything wrong with the frame so far, but there is a lot of it left to prep.

Right now I'm busy turning that Delco points distributor (actually in very good shape!) into an magnetic pick-up distributor so I can use a DuraSpark module or an MSD box...
Points just don't give the performance or reliability I'm looking for...
But I'm trying to keep the distributor as stock looking as possible...

A Chrysler reluctor and mag trigger is the ticket! Now I have a Chrysler Mag Trigger in a Delco distributor, using a Motorcraft DuraSpark Module...
(Anyone confused yet?)

I'll post pictures on the new web site in the next week or two so anyone interested can keep up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts