Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now I done did it! Got ol' gal up, runnin, and legal and started driving it 25 miles round trip each day to work. She sounded and drove real nice this last week (give or take a leaky gas tank...) but this morning started throwing oil from the main - bad! Well, not catastrophic, it didn't die with a "bang and a poof" but I gotta get it to where I can look at it and suspect I aught not drive it. I have the 232 6 cyl, not sure about the nomenclature of the tranny but think I have a Dana 40 rear end.
The thing is I've been wrestlin' with the "sell it/keep it" question. I'd really like to keep it but it keeps sending me these "little" hints to sell and Scout lovers abound here in Minnesota. I would like the experience of replacing the seal myself since a 71 offers fewer complications than a newer vehicle and love the sense of accomplishment I get out of working on my Scout but have never done this job before. I'm a decent mechanic. Am I biting way more off than I can handle? ANY feedback would be welcome!!

· Registered
113 Posts
Is this a IH Motor? Or a Jeep 6 cyl? If it is an IH motor.......the front seal in in the timing cover. Acually not bad to get to. Lower pulleys.....balancer......a few bolts on the oil pan.......and the water pump should get the timing cover off and the seal out. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.