Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember that stretched emerald green CJ with 2 rear axles?(different mags) It had a chrome roll cage(or stainless or something), and 33" boggers? Anybody ever seen it? I could see doin' something like that with 2 1/2 ton military axles or something, like the Sniper has, but how would you do it with regular light truck axles(44, 60, whatever)?? I get messed up thinkin' about the driveline. I saw the guy in Moab last year, guess I should have went over and looked under it. Anybody?????

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There was a feature story on it on one of the 4WD mags within the last few years (I think the Scrambler was red at the time) that had some decent underside shots of it. Don't remember which one or how long ago, but I suspect that it was Four Wheeler.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It's no big deal, I saw one which had an offset rearmost axle, and a chain drive off the front yolk to a little jackshaft on the front housing and then a short driveline to the back. Sort of like the WWII Army truck with the little bearing mount/jackshaft on the forward axle./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw one in the movie "The ............ affair" with Rene Russo (yummy) and Pierce Brosnan (yummy if you are into males, or so I am told) which showed a 6x6 Wrangler somewhere in the carebean. Looked impressive, but since it was a movie could n't have a closer look ;) It was black tough and lifted.

BlueJay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know what your talking about, an old buddy of mine in iceland has a cj set up 6x6. 35" tires, custom everything (especially the trick extended softop). lost touch with him a couple years ago, but i'll see if i can't get to him thru some other friends back there. interestingly, iceland is 4 wheelers heaven - everyone lifts their vehicles just to manage in the long winters. ever seen one of them snooty range rovers with the wheel wells cut out and 35" tires!!! new land cruisers lifted by the dozens. you name it, they cut the wells and lift it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have a lead on some Rockwell top load 2.5 ton military axles if you are interested. Didn't see you location in your profile, but they wuld be located in the midwest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The owner's name is Kevin Cooper. He is a member of the Jolly Jeepers. Yes it used to be red. 6x has
high pinion Dana 44's all the way through. He modified a Dana 300 Jeep transfer case (yes I said Dana
300) with an extra output shaft to drive all three axles. He has ARB's in all axles with the Warn floater
kits. He's running a 4 liter with an automatic. Don't know which auto. His rear suspension is all air bag,
I believe Firestone but not sure. It's been a while since I looked at it but it seems like he had to run a 2
piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing for the rear axle. Kevin is not the first to do this. Ed Holbrook did
the same thing in the '70's with a DJ-6. He used a combination of model 18 and 20 transfercase pieces
and built one low pinion and one high pinion rearend. He runs a 300 Buick with a turbo 400 and a Koenig
PTO winch. As far as I've been able to tell he was one of the first to build a high pinion rearend for a Jeep.
He was at Moab last year with it. It was his first time there. Trac Too is an Orangish Red color. Ed is also
a Member of the Jolly Jeepers. Both hail from the Portland, OR area. Nickmil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kinda thought he might have used a 2-piece driveline with a carrier bearing, but I had never heard of the chain drive jackshaft setup before. I guess there would be a couple of different ways to do it. I had ideas, but wasn't axactly sure how people were makin' it work. DEFCON1, I'm in Utah Valley, Utah. Unfortunately I'm also flat broke and couldn't afford a PICTURE of 2 1/2 ton military axles. Just out of curiosity, what kind of cash are you lookin' at for the axles? Boyce has 'em for $1375 front and $1125 rear(rebuilt).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.