Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sittin here thinkin about this 6x6 that I recently saw and I was just wondering how they work....I have a few ideas kickin around in my head, but none of them seem to make sense. I know some of you have either driven or at least crawled under one, so how do they work?

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One guy I read about took a D-18 t-case, and modified it with parts from a D-20 t-case so that it had one front yoke, and two rear yokes, one offset the other centered. then he put a center diff amc 20 behind the offset diff amc 20, and had a driveshaft going straight to the middle axle, and a 2-piece driveshaft going to the rear axle, with a bracket to hold it up and over the middle driveshaft... He could select, 2wd, 4wd or 6wd, hi, and 4wd or 6wd low... really a work of genious... don't remember the website now...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
2 and a half ton military axles have an output on the back of them(like a power take off).. .you can run them tandem with a driveshaft connecting them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 6x6 Scrambler I have seen in magazines over the last few years (first red, now green) uses a modified T-case similar to what was mentioned above. It has two rear output shafts running to 1 centered axle and 1 offset axle. I don't believe that it has the "extra" T-case mentioned above, but I could be wrong.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crawl under the next 18 wheeler you see sitting still. Both of those axles are driven. Come to think of it, you won't have to crawl under to see it all. Just bend over the tires and look. Probably won't get charged anything, either.
sln

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the same jeep. It isn't two t-cases mated together, he took the center shaft and other parts from the d20 and swapped them into the d18 case. so the t-18 case is the only one in the jeep, but it has two rear outputs, one centered and one offset... Do you remember the website you saw that at?

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are thinking about two different vehicles. The one with the 18 and 20 parts is Ed Holbrook
who owns trac-too. It is an orangish red DJ-6 modified with 3 Dana 44's. The inline output is for the middle
axle and the offset runs a driveshaft to a carrier bearing located on the rear housing with another shaft
to the rear driver. He is running a 300 Buick with a turbo 400 trans. He also runs a modified 20 PTO to
run his winch. It was originally build for elk hunting. It's called trac too because he has it setup to run tracks
in the rear if he wants like a half track.

The Scrambler is owned by Kevin Cooper. It used to be red and now is green. He is running a 4.0 liter
with an automatic and an extremely modified dana 300 with 2 rear outputs. He also runs Dana 44's all the
way through. The site you are talking about may be the Jolly Jeepers Web site. Try doing a web search
for it. It has a section that talks about the members and their rigs. Both Ed Holbrook and Kevin
Cooper are members of the Jolly Jeepers. Good Luck. Nickmil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.