Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which six cylinder would be a better bet for a 69 c10. I can get a 250 and a 292. Both need rebuilding. Do they use the same head or intake? I know the 292 is way more expensive but is the added cost worth it in terms of driveability?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Hmmmm,
Not sure what to say I dont know much about the six cylinders, but I think Id go with the cheapre just because its cheaper and I hate spending my hard earned money, unless the 292 is in better condition.
Can you pull the heads off to see how much of a ridge there is at the top of the cylinder, If you can then go with the one that has the smaller edge.
I hope this helps some, hopefully someone that knows more about the six's will give you some info.

The Kid

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The 250 came with two different style heads. One style 250 head has the intake manifold cast as part of the head. Don't use this style 250 head. One trip to the gas station is enough reason not to use the 292. The 292 was not the MPG champion of 6 cylinders.
dave

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The 292 was the power champion. I know if you drop on a 2 barrel Rochester instead of the 1 barrel stock one, your performance will improve, along with the mpg's. Friend did that. He eventually built his up to some pretty impressive numbers. Thing rivaled a diesel with it's torque.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont know a lot about the 292 but I do know the 250 is a strong motor. My dad built a 250 that came in his 69 Camaro many years ago and he said that it would take most mildly built v-8s. Of course it had a pretty radical cam headers and was bored out to fit 283 piston, I think. The only thing that wasent done to it was a 4 barrel intake and carb but still had plenty of of tourque and horsepower to but 'em up in smoke. Theres a pretty good story to go along with that motor to. He had built another engine for the Camaro and my Aunts Chevy II had blown the 6 that was in it so he put the worked out 250 in it for her. The first time she went to leave the drive way she put the tires right up in smoke for about 90 feet or so.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also dont know much about the inline 6s but my dad had one in his 79 chevy truck it had a factory split exhaust manifold that allowed us to run duals in it but we all know what a 6 with duals sounds like (a pissed off bumble bee). but it was a very strong motor had over 300thousand miles on it before we put a 327 he found in it.

I'm Sooner Breed!!!! Sooner Born!!! and when I die ill be Sooner Dead!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.