Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for ya: The top mounted wipers on my 67 CJ work OK, but they don't turn at the same speed so it looks kinda funny. They also stop as soon as you turn off the switch, so you have to time it so the wipers aren't in the middle of your view. Now I understand this is an old vehicle with two separate wiper motors but I was wondering if this is normal or if maybe they are wired wrong(nearly everything on this jeep was wrong when I bought it). I've looked for a wiring diagram in my chilton, haynes, and uv5 jeep service manual(rosser reprint) and can't find any info.
Thanks

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

G

·
I actually have not experience with your vintage of jeep, but I do know motors. To way oversimplify this issue, electric motor are
like snow flakes in that no two are alike. (man this is cheese) What I am trying to say is that every motor will have either more efficient windings, better
rolling bearings, less worn brushes, or any number of things that will cause them to operate at different speeds. It is possible to get
motor that are matched, but even these will eventually wear differently. As far as the wiper stopping out of the way like a new car, a
67' jeep was still closer to a military/farm vehicle then what we have now. I was not even born back then, but from spending my
fair share of time in the junk yards I know that a lot of cars back then still did not always come with that feature.
Ethan

G

·
I believe you've described them, exactly as they are. There is no 'parking' feature for the wipers. Should be only 1 or 2 wires to the motor for no parking feature, and at least 3 wires for systems that have a parking feature. And, yes, there is no syncronization - they run independently. I can scoot you a copy of the factory wiring diagram, but it wont show much - it's a very basic vehicle.

bob

G

·
Here's one possible solution, although not exactly cheap. I had a 70CJ5 that had a single wiper motor and linkage between the two
wipers. See if you can get one of these windshield frames and swap it out for yours. Physically all the dimensions are the same so
your top, doors and everything should fit.

Gary

G

·
Greg,
This is normal on the old top mounted independent wipers. Most did not have a park feature. You might
try a shop that deals in boat supplies and see if they have something with the park. As was mentioned,
you can also switch to the '68 to '71 windshield with bottom mount wipers. The glass is the same as your
'67. The '72 to '75 will also fit no problem and the glass sits higher in the frame for better visibility. These
usually bring a premium in price. Watch very carefully for rust up in the defroster area on the inside.
Also be aware that some of the wiper linkage is no longer available new. Good luck. Nickmil.

G

·
I agree w/ Gary. If you can't redo the whole thing maybe you can rig the two together. I'm not familiar w/ the 67 CJ5. But maybe you can connect the two and use a newer motor. Just a thought from the uninformed.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 67 Cj-5 followup

Thanks for all the response. I was aware of being able to swap in a later windshield with bottom mount wipers, but not that the windshield was higher in 72-75. That's the kind of info I read this board for. I thought of doing that, but now that the frame has been repainted(black like original), and a new windshield installed I'll probably keep it. Now that you mention it if I seat normal in the seat I'm looking out the very top of the w/s(right thru my "It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" sticker!). Always find myself slouching in the seat to see better. The motors each have two wires going to them, plus a ground. Should they be 2 speed? The switch only has one setting(on/off), so doesn't seem like they would. Thanks again everybody.

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.