Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I'm starting to look into 4 and 6 inch lifts. I know Tomken, Teraflex and Skyjacker, (to name a few) vendors offer 6 inch lifts. I was wondering what are the pros/cons or differences between these vendors lifts?

For example, I know with a Teraflex lift, (because of adjustible components up front) I can use either 4 or 6 inch coils springs. This offers a very inexpensive upgrade from 4 to 6 inches.

Skyjacker's subframe is supposed to be incredible, but what exactly does this lift offer that others don't?

Between avoiding death wobble, while trying to maxmize articulation, how does a consumer pick the best bang-for-the-buck?

What about mixing and matching the best of packages?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Kent (Lost in lift confusion)

94 XJ (purchased July 00)
Skids, XD9000I, Lights, Bumpers, CB/Ham/Scanner, Due roof racks, ARB compressor, Duo-Optima's, 200 amp alt, and too much more to list!
These trucks rock!

G

·
I wish i could help ya more i am lerning more and more as I go with my Xj and i think mixing the best with the best is a good idea. As my xj grows i feel i will need to mix just to make work. good luck!! SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

G

·
The difference is huge. Tomken uses 4" coils and spacers to achieve 6" when others use 6" coils which is a lot better. I would consider Rubicon Express if I were you because they use 6" coils and also adjustable lower and upper control arms which also benefit from heim style joints instead of regular bushings this will give you a few more inches of flex comparing to other lifts. I used to have a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift for a while and then when I saw better quality products from RE I decided to built my own lift using their parts. This is what I did. For the front I used 6" coils from RE combined with their 2" coil spacers, lower and upper adj control arms with the drop brakets, RE heavy duty track bar with it's own frame bracket and Rusty's Off Road steering conversion for XJ's. For the rear I used 6" leafs from Rusty's combined with their 1.5" shackles. All this gave me 7.5" of lift to easily clear 33" Super Swamper SSR's and I flex 935 on a 30 degree ramp. So I suggest RE 6" lift. I can send you some pictures of my Jeep if you'd like when I develop them (I only put my kit on 1.5 months ago).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey scram,
There's a very good 4x4 shop close to Easton PA that I does all of work I can't do myself. They have an outstanding reputation for their XJ knowledge.

Anyway, they recommended a "mix and match" approach for a 4 inch lift, consisting of a Tera front end mixed with an OME rear. After doing a bit of research (with much more needed) it appears that the kits offered by different vendors have very different design attributes. So, it would seem to me that mixing and matching could offer the best components from various vendors. Of course, then you run the risk of what will work with what /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

Skids, XD9000I, Lights, Bumpers, CB/Ham/Scanner, Due roof racks, ARB compressor, Duo-Optima's, 200 amp alt, and too much more to list!
These trucks rock!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey 96xj,
Thanks for your recommendations and observations /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I totally agree that using spacers (within a purchased kit) to achieve the desired lift is (in my opinion) cheating. A 4 inch kit using 2 inch spacers is (IMO) still a 4 inch kit. A kit should be designed for that specific lift application as well as offering possible upgrade options. Spacers (I believe) should be used by the owner to trim a specific application for a custom fit (as you did).

Rubicon Express is one of about half a dozen vendors I'm looking at. As I mentioned I'm trying to figure out what components from various kits are innovative, most durable, etc. I would think that components offering adjustability would be the most desirable (as you mentioned adjustable control arms, heim joints etc).

I'd be curious what people consider the pros/cons to the 6 inch kits offered by the vendors below and/or the suspension components they may offer?

Rubicon Express
OME
Teraflex
Skyjacker
Rusty's

Thanks again for passing on your suggestions and experience /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

And yes I'd be very interested in any photos once you get them.

Kent

These trucks rock!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.