Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8,000 miles on the '08 Ram 2500 with the new Cummins and a brand new turbo! I suffered a CEL about every 3 weeks. Finally told the dealer they fix it or buy it. Easy fix just needed a new turbo! Anyone else playing this game?

· Registered
47 Posts
I had an 07 with the 6.7 turbo. It ran fine but the service engine light kept coming on, they reprogrammed it several times, put on 3 new o2 sensors and a turbo in the first 11k. I had to get a lawyer in order to make them do a buyback. It took 8 months after I got the lawyer. I now have a 06 Chevy CC LB Duramax 4x4. I bought it cheaper than I did the Dodge and I like it better.

· Registered
6,042 Posts
JCK
6.7 L Cummins Bad Turbo/CEL
8,000 miles on the '08 Ram 2500 with the new Cummins and a brand new turbo! I suffered a CEL about every 3 weeks. Finally told the dealer they fix it or buy it. Easy fix just needed a new turbo! Anyone else playing this game?
So what exactly was the problem? Why did your truck need a new turbo?

Is this post intended as a 6.7 bash or is there helpful information that can be had?

Was your DPF/system addressed at all? Did you have driveability issues with the truck? Symptoms?

I had an 07 with the 6.7 turbo. It ran fine but the service engine light kept coming on, they reprogrammed it several times, put on 3 new o2 sensors and a turbo in the first 11k. I had to get a lawyer in order to make them do a buyback. It took 8 months after I got the lawyer. I now have a 06 Chevy CC LB Duramax 4x4. I bought it cheaper than I did the Dodge and I like it better.
You should update your sig. Any thoughts on the 5.9 or did you just have enough of Dodge?

· Registered
47 Posts
I was going to buy a 5.9 but I was talked into the 6.7. I just went with the Chevy because I got a good deal. I have always drove Chevys, just bought the Dodge because I could buy a new one for a little more than a used Chevy. The Chevy rides better, and I am getting better mpg than I ever did with the Dodge.

· Registered
6,042 Posts
Ahh I see. Is that a Duramax? I did like the Allison they put in their diesels and wished Dodge would get a piece of that pie :grin:

I went with a young (33k miles) '06 5.9 this February and I'm in love (20+hwy, 17-18city). And it is a stock auto! Before that we were overseas and I was in a baby diesel 3.1TD (Isuzu). Prior to that in the US I had a beloved '94 K1500 5.7.

I've been a big fan of the way Chevrolets ride and I've always thought their interiors were the most comfortable. But after the '94 I decided I wasn't ever going back to an IFS 4x4 and I would be jumping to a Cummins. I considered a 6.7 but the more I read the more I knew as first time diesel owner I was better off with a 5.9. Not only for the reputation, but the cumulative knowledge of 5.9 gearheads just blows the support side out of the water. Can't get that with the 6.7 yet.

· Registered
4,199 Posts
plus 6.7s have particulate filters wich is a very bad deal.

dad has 6.7 only problem so far is the particulate filter plugn up drivn around town. its got bout 30k on it now. truck makes good power and handles 34000lbs well. i can do 80 with that load. where my stock 5.9 was maxed out and strugln to maintain 60 on flat ground

· Registered
11 Posts
You can get rid of the DPF now and let that 6.7 breath. It makes a world of difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.