Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I recently picked up an 83 Silverado K20 that currently has the 6.2 liter diesel in it, "rust free and straight as an arrow". I compression tested the motor and it's shot. So, I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the diesel, find a used one and get it going, or put a 350 in it? I've heard some good and bad of both, and price is a major issue when a used diesel is as much as a new small block. What I need to figure out is, what do I need to change to install the 350? I have the TH400 transmission currently, and I heard I have to change the converter? I also heard that if I purchase the correct engine harness, I can plug right into the firewall block, and be down the road. If anybody has done this swap, please let me know. I'm kind of lost on this, and I keep finding conflicting information. I should mention I do have an SB at the machine shop right now, as well as a set of Vortec heads, so this swap wouldn't be that far off, but I don't know for sure? Thanks for your help! Jp

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would keep the diesel because of milage . But if you must you don't need to chage torque converters . It will work just fine but will shift a little sooner than a gas tranny . Find the hot wire going to the injector pump and use that for your hot wire on the distributer . Everything else electrical bolts up the same way .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.