Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'56 willy\'s wagon

I was just curious as to what the stock engine/axels/t-case/trans were for the '56 willy's wagons? any info would be appreciated, thanks!

G

·
Re: \'56 willy\'s wagon

134 ci F head 4 cyl, most likely a T-90 3 speed, dana 18, Dana 25 front, Dana 44 rear

G

·

UT,... you're gonna cause me to go looking for my 56 factory service manual... I can't remember if the 134 was still the standard engine, but, my family had a 56 Wagon, and it came with the L6-226. I recall that we ran it, until it gave problems (about 1964), then we took out the 226, and installed an early Dodge hemi. The hemi was great... it really made a highway-runner out of the Wagon, and made pulling a travel trailer a breeze. The rest of the drive-line was as you indicated, and at this point I can't remember which Dana 18 TC was installed. I think it might have been the 1.25 shaft, small hole. If I have guessed wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. The model 44 was typical for 1956... tapered axle/hub interface, and course splines. Using it to tow the trailer, it broke a couple of axles, in the tapered interface. Amazingly, the T-90 never gave any problems. Great car... wish I could have it, today, in the condition it was in when we sold it.

bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the info guys, i guess someone has swapped in a i6 cause if i remember correct thats what was in this vehicle i was looking at...how are the wagons for off-road use? I've been looking for a good running jeep to replace a '77 CJ5 that i dont have the time anymore to spend finishing this project...i've mainly been looking at 5's and 7's but i spotted this '56 wagon thats in great shape body and frame wise, inside was neat and clean, and it did have this i6 in it for an engine...how it ran, i'm not sure yet. I'm alittle off topic here, i am looking for a vehicle that has good performance for medium trail running, but i also need something that can get me to and from school, and to the parents house every couple weekends...I don't see many wagons on the trails, nor do i see them on the road much either, so are they practical? maybe i'm just taken by its rareity here in my part of canada, it is a cool vehicle, and is very tempting. Would i be wise to give in to temptation?

G

·

Utahjeeper was correct, the F-Head was the stock engine, but the L-Head 226 was an option. The L-Head is an inline 6.

It will be more work to maintain than a CJ-5. Any vehicle 40 years old is more work. Some advances have been made
in automotive technology since the Wagon was built.

All in all, it would be great for medium trails and a lot of fun to drive. Your steering and top speed are just like a 40
year old vehicle. Handling will be different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

G

·

The old Willys wagons are getting to be a mighty rare sight. I helped a friend of mine get started on a '56 project until he lost interest and sold it. I really wish I could have picked it up. I love the those things. Could you imagine one built up with a 4.0L, either a 5-spd or a good auto, a D-300, and some better axles, running on a set of 33" inch tires. I'd rather have it than the wife's Cherokee. Hmm, "Hey Honey...."

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

i don't like to should people, but you should watch the "Trucks" show on TNN, they are building an old wagon, putting a Dodge 360 (i think), NV4500, Atlas transfer case, custom Currie 9" high pinion rear and a custom Hick's built Dana 44 in the front, bla bla bla, it think it's on saturdays and sundays

3/4tonYJ
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/8-lug,44/60

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oh yeah, forgot thats what they've been working on, saw the first episode they started that project, but i moved and the cable is a different company, and i get tnn, but never seem to be able to catch the show at the time i think its on...i'll have to watch...still curious though, anyone have experience wheeling in a wagon? what mod's would make it better?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.