Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
basically have to replace most everything in jeep. I guess you could rip everything out and doa painless wireing setup...

OR, you could put a resistor (A really freakin big one) in the jeep and it'll cut the voltage from 12 to 6 so that half the jeep can be 12V, the other half 6V.
Either way you'll have to get a new alternator, to supply the 12v battery, everything else can be resistored down... I'd recomend at least a new starter, and other high amp circuts, just cuz then you can get a smaller resistor for the rest of the jeep. If you want I could probably get you a size of resistor you'll need (and run it by my Systems professor to make sure its right) but we just went over this in class friday. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I guess I shoulda paid more attention... oh well.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
37 Posts
I converted my '2A to 12V, it's pretty easy. Dump the generator (keep or resell for $$!) Got a delco 12v one-wire alternator from a local rebuilder. Fabbed a bracket, got a new water pump with double pulley to drive it. Rewired all with a JC Witney kit, went to NAPA with all my bulbs, got 12V with same base and approx same rating using a conversion book. Kept the 6V starter, 12 v won't hurt it as they're built tough.
Also need a 12V coil. No prob with the dist.
HTH

PS Don't forget your heater fan motor. I simply didn't hook mine up. You'll need to get a 12v motor for the fan, or step it down as previously mentioned.

L

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
There is a writeup in the March 2000 JP magazine on how to do this conversion. Might want to pick it up...

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.