Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Simpson 3" webbing 5-point harness and for my birthday, instead of going out to eat, my parent's are going to by me a new driver's seat. (I'm using towels to keep my butt above the seat rails!) I go into deep water a LOT and into some nasty mud too, so it needs to be a waterproof seat and resist stains and mildewing. Also needs to have the holes for the shoulder belts to pass though. How should I go about mounting the 5-point harness? Weld reinforcing plates under the floorboards or just use large washers or...? Thanks a lot everyone, and safe Jeeping to you all!

G

·
the guy who owned my jeep before me put in some five point harness'. He used bolts that look like a U with threads on both ends. He then drilled holes in the body and mounted the U's with the round side up. He put a piece of steel as a reinforcement on the bottom of the U's so that they would not rip through the body in a rollover. The steel he used is the same idea they had when they put the steel reinforcements in your hood on the windshield tie downs. At least me hood has them. Then he drilled holes in the upper roll bar for the shoulder attachment. I would not recommend doing this to the roll bar unless you use something to lower the mounting point closer to your shoulders. The mounting point for the shoulder belts should be within 4 vertical inches of your shoulders. Otherwise in a bad rollover you will most likely break both of your shoulder blades. If you have any questions just drop me a line, check my bio for an address.
Good Luck.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
I'm installing a 4 point harness in mine. Used angle iron and fabbed a bracket bolted it down with grade eight and used a backing plate underneath. I'm welding another bar across right behind the top of my seats to attach uppers. I have heard the same thing about breaking your collarbones if the belts aren't properly positioned.

G

·
Of even more importance is the positioning of the seat belt. You can live through a pair of broken collar bones, though painful, but you won't live through a ruptured aorta or liver and maybe not a ruptured spleen.
Position the belts so that the pull is directly across the hip bones and has no possibility of getting above them. The anchor point will be below and behind your alpha sierra sierra. The last thing to remember is that they must be tight on you since there is no inertia lock or tilt lock on them like factory systems.
Keeping the above things in mind will enable you to live longer than if you didn't have them. I know this from first hand experience. Your parents love you several dollars worth. Keep 'em happy.

sln

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a Jamex seat thats non-adjustable for $190 at the local speed shop, Automotive Engineering. It has belt guides for all 5 belts. I also bought 3/16" steel plate to use as reinforcement. I was thinking of hooking the two shoulder strap ends to a metal cable or chain, and running that down to the bolt on the floor (I really like the U-bolt idea!) The other straps are long enough to reach the floor on their own I believe. The steel plate I will tack-weld to the bottom of the tub wherever the bolts pass through. Does this sound adequate to everyone, provided I keep my harness tight?

G

·
How about the Molded Plastic seats they sell in Jegs, Summit, etc??? They are strong, light, reasonably comfortable (unless you are a bit broad across the backside), and most of them have slots cut out for the 5-pts..... My buddy had them in his VW Scirocco (craziest canyon car i've ever seen) and we did 5 hrs in them... just wish he had exhaust on it

Good Luck
BJ

PS, Summit, Jegs also sell seat mounting Kits, adj, or non

PSS DO get the seat covers... much nicer than just the seats, and button on/off for the rain

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.