Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says five, but I've heard that those in the know put in six to keep the sump from going dry. Good advice or bad info? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have only ever put 5 in my 304. Heck the rear main leaks so bad, that it probably only has 4 qts in it a 1/4 of the time. Unless you are upside down 5 will do.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
484 Posts
ive always been told it is not good to overfill a motor with oil as it may blow out the seals....not sure if that ACTUALLY is true but then ive never lost oil pressure in a vehicle with the proper amount in the pan

·
Registered
630 Posts
the oil will foam and brake down faster and not lub stuff right its just a big no noand my 258 only takes 5qts

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
That is strange. I have an 88 YJ with a 258 and it takes 6 quarts.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The manual says five,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right the 304 360 390 401 all use 5 quarts of oil, and only the ones with a special built oil pan will take 6. You risk issues with more than 5 in stock style pans.

[ QUOTE ]
but I've heard that those in the know put in six to keep the sump from going dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they know ,,,WHAT,,, I don't know, but if the oil level is to high the crank will be hitting the oil on unlevel ground. Also an extra quart of oil may not keep you from dry sumping on steep inclines. You will need a special baffle and pick up in the pan to keep from doing this. That is what the big boys use and most wheelers don't go to that expense. I would not run more than 5 quarts in a stock motor, he he, unless it requires more, the 258.

·
Registered
630 Posts
ya its weird that is only take 5qts i just swaped out that motor and the one i put in only takes 5 to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts