Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any good sites or pages that detail a swap from a 2.5L w/AX5 to a 5.2 Magnum w/stock 5-speed manual tranny? I hate to ask questions I'm sure have been covered somewhere on this board, but I can't find what I'm looking for.
Will my NP231 work with this drivetrain? Is the NV231 pretty similair to the NP231?
I'm looking into an upgrade for my newly paid-off Jeep and this will be my first engine swap.

I'm not a real mechanic, but I play one on the weekends!

TXJeepr
94YJ w/SOA, 4:11, overengineered bumpers, an almost-completed swing-away, BFG 33's and a frikkin' 4-banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TXjeepr,

You might want give Custom Jeep a call, their website is www.customjeep.com.
They can custom fit a 5.2 or 5.8 into a Jeep, plus they are very knowlegde.

Good luck,

Nycjeep :) /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AX-5 trans won't fit and won't hold the power of the 5.2l. You will need to get a Dodge transmission, either an automatic, or a 5-speed. There used to be a Dodge Dakota that came with a 3.9l (same bellhousing pattern as the 5.2l) & AX-15 trans which possibly would allow you to switch to a Dodge bellhousing if you had the AX-15 trans already. Unfortunately, most 2.5l equipt 231 t-cases have 21 spline input gears in them, which would require a new input gear from a 6 cylinder YJ 231 case. All the late Dodge V6/V8 transmissions have 23 spline output shafts exactly like the 4.0l equipt YJs. You may be able to work a deal with a wrecking yard on a trade in of your original driveline parts when you go to buy your 5.2l. Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts