Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 31 10.5 swamper tsl's on my 88.5 sammy (not a daily driver) and everytime i talk to some on about gearing down i get different answers 5.12 diffs or 4.16 t-case gears so only the guys with real experience with both please tell wich i should go with first for the best off road bang for my buck since i dont have very many bucks to spend..
TIA

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
3.652x4.16x3.73=56.66 or 3.652x2.268x5.12=42.40 whmmm
seems quite obvious I did my t-case before the R/P and it worked just fine no to mention the R/p is going to cost alittle more unless you can set them up yourself I dont personally believe in alluminum Housings but thats just my 02. because of money constraints I got the 4:16 in Hine sight I would have went 4:89

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
ditto I would go with the 4.16. The high range corrects perfectly for 31's and you won't be burning your clutch up off road. I kinda wish I woulda shelled out the extra 200 or so for the 4.89 case when I bought my 4.16 one as well. Of course I run 33's though.

G

·
The 5.12's are gonna cost you at least $300 front and rear, plus the installation. If you install yourself with the install kits, you are close to 4 bills. You can get 4.16 gears for your T-Case for $399, and I think a gasket and seal kit is about $25. You will be much happier with the T-Case gears!!

-G

·
Registered
467 Posts
Absolutly go with tcase gears first. If you can afford 4.89 I would go with those over the 4.16 gears.

G

·
I put in the 4.89 GRSII and have 31's. You can use 5th gear on the flat. Hit any sort of hill or need to accelerate and you'll be in 4th. I just installed 4.62 r&p. 64mph indicated is 60mph actual. Pretty close to stock. I understand 4.16 t-case with 4.62 r&p it is the same as stock.
I like my setup real well. I did my own setup on r&p as well as the t-case gears

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
yep, thats why I went ahead and bout the rebuilt 4.16 from TT for 649.00 saves me time and I know if something breaks on it they will stand behind there work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow I thought the GRS2 would be perfect for 31's on the street but looks like you could still need a little more gear for 5th. I was wondering if the 6:1 would be to much for 31's on the road. I only know of one person who uses 6:1 w/ 31's but it's a trail rig only so I wasn't sure if you would be turning to many rpm's with that setup. Anyone know the answer to that one?

Matt Schiccatano

G

·
I put 6.1s in my in my zuk, and have 31" BFG M/T's. Love the gearing, I wont have to change from the stalk 3.72R&P. I turn 3650rpm @ 60mph. Thats a little high but leaves me a little room to grow (32"s would be good). After wheelin with the 6.1 to 1's I personaly would not get any thing higher, like 4.16's. It's a lot cheaper than changing t-case gears and R&P's

G

·
We carry the 4.16 gears for $399. We also TIG weld our gears which is very actually a very important difference among manufacturers.

As well, we have no problem shipping by postal service which really saves you Canadian guys on brokerage fees.

Any questions at all on 4.16 gears or why a TIG weld is superior to MIG welded gears, please feel free to drop us a line.
----------------------------------------

The the original question, do not get 5.12s for 31" tires. If you feel you must get some axle gears, a 4.57 is going to much better suited to your tire size.... otherwise you'll never be able to go the speed limit on an interstate because your engine will be screaming! All in all though, most people would probably be happier with a set of 4.16 gears and the cost is less. Take the extra money saved from axle gears and buy yourself a locker (which we also carry at the lowest price on Earth)....

G

·
I have 2 questions here...

Alright, I have a question here. I am planning on gettin some Toyota axles with 4.30 gears in them from a local Zuk friend of mine. I CURRENTLY run 31" tires, but desperately need to upgrade. With that axle setup, would 4.16 gears be too much if I wanted to use it on the highway?

Also, I plan on retiring the Samurai from the street and make it into a soul off-road truck only. With those 4.30 axle gears in, how would 6:1 t-case gears hold up to trailriding/rockcrawling? I want some SUPER-LOW crawl ratio, would it make any sense to upgrade the R&P's as well? I will be running either 33's or 35's. Not sure yet. Oh, one last thing, will a 1.3 EFI be able to handle 6:1 gears with low axle gears with say 35" tires? I assume so since it would never be going more than like 30mph. Thanks loads guys!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I run 4.57 gears and a stock t-case and have no problem getting to 120 km/h on the highway. On the slight inclines around here, it usually slows to about 95-100 but overall it is pretty decent, and I still get pretty good fuel economy. Off road is a different story though, I really need lower gearing which is why a homemade 4.16 case is going into the truck as soon as possible
If I were to do it again, I would start with the t-case first.

G

·
>Alright, I have a question here. I am planning on gettin some Toyota axles with 4.30 gears in them from a local Zuk friend of mine.

Keep in mind that the toyota axles have a centered diff. We get alot of calls from guys who have gone toyota and are looking for ways to get rid of vibrations on their rear end. Axle gearing may be the least of your worries if you want to get high speed going on a toyota rear axle. For the trail though... great!

>I CURRENTLY run 31" tires, but desperately need to upgrade. With that axle setup, would 4.16 gears be too much if I wanted to use it on the highway?

You'd be running higher RPMs than what is ideal, but it should be too bad. Keep in mind that some 31's are more like 32's and some are like 30's. Tire choice can have alot ot do with it too.

>Also, I plan on retiring the Samurai from the street and make it into a soul off-road truck only. With those 4.30 axle gears in, how would 6:1 t-case gears hold up to trailriding/rockcrawling?

Not to put the other gears down because they do work well too, but 6:1 gears are built beefier than any of the 4.16, 4.89, 5.8 gears out there. The tooth pattern is larger for more metal contact per tooth than the other gears. This makes them stronger as well as the alloy being a higher grade. If you turn your Zuk into a rockbuggy with 35's, the strength of your 6:1 gears will be something you never have to worry about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.