Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4X4 button on shift lever won\'t go down!

ok, trying to put the truck on ramps last night to look under it and was going to put it in 4lo, and the button would not go down on the lever.... i have a 3" body lift that came with an extension for the lever, so i took the lever off and tryed ot push down on the rod inside and that wouldn't go either. any ideas? might be some mud or somethhing holding it up???? thanks

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Re: 4X4 button on shift lever won\'t go down!

Sounds more like the lever is binding and won't let it engage. I'm not sure, but just using your hands or someother tool to push down without some leverage might not be easily accomplished...

Did you rock the vehicle back and forth to see if it will pop in? Have you had it in 4Lo since you got the lift?

J.R. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm

G

·

it moght sound crazy, but did you try it while moving (under 3mph) I've had that happen to me and the linkage was just stuck, when i started to move bingo! Just a shot!

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

yes, i have had it in 4lo many times, it worked fine until i parked it a few weeks ago because of an oil leak. the button won't go down, but the lever moves, it will not go into N either... have to fix that by this weekend, going down to the Mounds ORV area on sunday...

Craig

'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G

·

my button is hard as hell to push down. has been for as long as i have had the truck. give her a real hard push if that does not work take her out and soke her down with the good ol WD40 (necter of the gods). good luck

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

well, i solved the problem, took the lever off, put a screwdriver in there, and hit it with a hammer till it was down all the way /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif....the button now works like it should /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.