Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys - i've got a '94 k1500 , auto trans. , 350 eng., floor shifter for 4wd. the thermal actuator on the transfer case is inoperative and i will need to change it out. the chevy parts man told me i could change it out to an electronic actuator , would need a wiring harness and minor wiring change. have any of you done this retrofit , do you like it, if so , any installation hints , any real fit up problems ? thanks for any tips. bill t

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Only hint I have is don't go with any automated junk like that... Buy a "Posilock" which is a mechanical connection between that front differential engagement device and leads into the cab so you can control when it engages. No more worries about any wiring dealing with it. Ever...

Of course it's not for everybody, only those who don't mind pondering when they'll need the front engaged and pulling a little cable actuator thingee out to do it... Gets you 2wd low range too, helpful for maneuvering in tight spaces if ever you have a trailer behind it, etc...

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
yeah i have the posi-lock and i am loving it. been doing a lot of sod hauling and topsoil stuff lately. get 6,000# of dirt in a trailer way back i nthe middle of nowhere and ttry to start it uphill. ythe 2-LO is awesome...and it can never fail. even if it breaks, you can manually engage 4X4 from under the truck...and that can only happen if you break the CABLE by pulling. get the posilock and be happy

·
Registered
322 Posts
The posi-lok is sweet. Works great, and installs in a little over an hour. I've seen the electric parts and although they are a step up from the TLA, The posi-lok is a much nicer setup. Rancho also makes a replacement actuator, which is electric. It's called the sure-shift. Warn makes a vaccum operated replacement, too. It's your call, but I prefer the mechanical link over an electric or vaccuum one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.