Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 86 ford 3/4 ton (i think) with a 460 in it with only around 50,000 miles on the hole truck. He just got the valve seals changed but it still smokes when you turn left and get on the gar fairly hard. it seems like the more time between left turns the more it will smoke. He has asked every one he knows and they dont have a clue. the guy who just changed the valve seals called up a dealer since he was out of ideas and the dealer thought he was off his rocker as my dad put it. You guys got any ideas???

thanx for the help

Justin Behr

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I have to assume there's at least a slight delay between the beginning of the turn and the appearance of smoke. I'm guessing it has something to do with the PCV valve being on the right valve cover and a lot of oil staying up top, either from clogged drain journals or high blowby. Has he checked the compression? Is the air cleaner full of oil? The next time it smokes, pull over & pull the PCV hose off the carb with the engine running - it should idle up, but see if the hose is dripping oil inside and check to see how much airflow there is out of the hose. If it's wet, the next check would be to pull the valve covers, put air into the cylinders showing low compression, pour oil over those valves, and see how much air is passing the valve seals. If it's a lot, bring it back to the valve guy and have him do it right. If there isn't much/any but it is coming up thru the head drain journals, you should have rebuilt the engine instead of just the heads. If none of that pans out, my last guess is the R intake gasket allowing valley oil into the intake ports.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Is his foot barried in the floor board while hes making the turn, if so the right rear could be spinning causeing the smell of smoke (rubber)
Sounds like Steve may be onto something though.

She runs, so Im gona keep her

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have power brakes? I knew a guy that had a truck that did the same thing yours is doing. When he turned, his master cylinder was leaking fluid into the vaccum line on the power booster causing it to smoke. He got a new m/cyl. and fixed the problem.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifSorry my Blue Oval is a little muddy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I showed this list to my dad and he talked to the guy about it all and none of it is the resone for smoking. The guy knows what hes doing and would not screw my dad over so he beleaves him. and he not steping on it hard a nuff to squel the tires and when he doesnt step on it it still smokes just not as much. Got any other ideas?

Thanx for all the replies so far

Justin Behr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts