Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,738 Posts
there will be a bit ofa difference prolly, but nothing to severe. i mean c'mon. 6,000 pound truck, lift, tires and waht not...one or 2 miles per gallon difference wont break you.

G

·
454 will get worse to a 350 lifted, but not too much less. lets say 1-3 mph gallon less.

The higher the ride, the better head.

99 GMC sierra 4x4 SC 350
82 F-250 diesel 4x4 SC warn 12k, 10"super 39.5 boggers
03 Grizzly 660

· Registered
305 Posts
Depends on the truck, the bigger it is the closer it will be. Willys got better mileage in his crew cab 454 before he lifted it than I do with my reg cab 350. Either way I wouldn't expect much more than 12mpg if it's lifted with 35's...

· Registered
401 Posts
Now wait a minute, wouldn't a 454 be more efficient than a 350? Because it would be easier to get a truck movin with a 454 rather than a 350, and a hell of a lot easier than a 305
. Right?
FunInTheMud

G

·
That sounds good but no. A 454 motor takes more fuel to run because it is a greater cubic inch then a 350. Meaning bigger cylinder, bigger pistons, more fuel needed. A stock 454 on a pickup with stock tires, Run about 8 miles to the gallon loaded or unloaded.

G

·
Hmm I don't have any numbers for you but I would say bad for a 350 and worse for a 454.. But you'll have more fun burnin that gas with a 454

· Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that a 454 was a bigger engine than a 350. It takes a lot more throttle to get a small block truck moving, so the difference usually isn't that great. If you are bashing around with your foot to the floor, then yeah the 454 is going to use a lot more gas. A fuel injected truck with OD and stock tires will get closer to 12 mpg, not 8, which is about what a small block truck gets. This has been covered before, more than once.

· Registered
349 Posts
Got to throw the
on that one. I have a 97 with a 454, 4 speed auto, stock size tires, and when I drove to Colorado with it, I was getting about 14-15 mpg, doing 70. My truck gets better mileage than the old mans Dog, er Dodge with a 360. If you keep your foot off the pedal, gas isn't as bad as people think. Just my two bits......

· Registered
401 Posts
Ok just say you have two 1-ton Chevy's. One has a 350 in it, and the other has a 454 in it. Both have the same options and gearing. Fill them both up to the max, put one hell of a load in them, and drive around till you run out of gas. Which one would get the better fuel mileage?
FunInTheMud

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that a 454 was a bigger engine than a 350. It takes a lot more throttle to get a small block truck moving, so the difference usually isn't that great. If you are bashing around with your foot to the floor, then yeah the 454 is going to use a lot more gas. A fuel injected truck with OD and stock tires will get closer to 12 mpg, not 8, which is about what a small block truck gets. This has been covered before, more than once.
A b8g block is always worse on gas because the bore and stroke are bigger. A 305 with a perf cam and fuel 8njection will move a lifted 4x4 pretty good. I've done it on 44s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.