Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't Jeep but it is my tow rig. I have 95 2500 4x4 Sub and the oil
pressure seems high to me. At idle the pressure sits at about 40psi but ANYTHING
over idle and I'm looking at 80psi. I run 10/30 full synthetic and I'm using a quart
every 1000 miles or so. The motor has 70,000 and Iv had it for about six months.
Thanks in advance.

WildCJ5

G

·
yea it does seem a little high.
my 79 chev van with rebuilt 350 back in 90 idles at 20psi and runs at 60psi.
i don't use synthetic but 10-30 castrol in all my cars.
anyway, using a quart a 1000 isn't right either as you know.
buuutttt, oil is not too expensive ooops syntheyic not sure!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
does it leak on your garage floor or just burning the quart?
my engine is getting a little tired and uses a little also.
i have a rear main seal needs replacing-just drips a little.
anyway back to your rig-has this oil pressure always been the whole 6 months?
maybe they put in a dual volume oil pump?
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
steve

G

·
I have had 2 new 454's my dad 2 one new 99 motorhome the other 76 pickup
bought new mind 74 pickup new 78 new. The 70 models where 1000 to 1500 mi to a QT. I think not sure but dads&mom's motorhome I think will go alot more mi.
It is hard to get to the truth some times.
The psi could it be the sender from your motor??

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif That's too much pressure and very un-Chevylike. The best Chevy V8 I ever had was about 50 psi at full rpm. Thats enough to do the job, and not enough to "shear" the oil or gouge the crank. If I were you, I would seriously consider first checking to make sure the gauge is correct, and second, work on the by-pass to get better pressure regulation. You can run the tall Napa truck filter in that engine which holds a qt extra, and the NAPA GOLD is the best filter made./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.